March 8th, 2011

The only day that I was unable to check on the release status.. lol oh well. Silly thing I guess, to be so happy over a software release but as stated so many times already, a great thanks to not just the dynamic trio but to the fantastic community that has evolved around this product. Let's see, new job, new house, oh yes! NEW forum software. Importance not in order of listing ;)

CHEERS and hats off to Kier, Mike, and Ashley.
tiphat.gif

Ya done good.

I couldn't have said it better myself! Having started with forums way back when Compuserve and GEnie had nothing but text-based discussion boards, I've seen them all. Forum software certainly has evolved, and this is one of the best forum packages I've seen in my travels. Onward and upward!

Congratulations! And thank you. I've had fun the last several months playing around with what's possible with XenForo. Looking forward to putting it in a live environment to play around some more with.

I couldn't have said it better myself! Having started with forums way back when Compuserve and GEnie had nothing but text-based discussion boards, I've seen them all. Forum software certainly has evolved, and this is one of the best forum packages I've seen in my travels. Onward and upward!

Wow that took me back LOL! Compuserve, hourly rates and a 2400 baud rate modem

Good days :)

Wow that took me back LOL! Compuserve, hourly rates and a 2400 baud rate modem

Good days :)
WoW! You had 2400 baud? I remember upgrading to 1200! 'Nfact I remember upgrading from 300 to 600, double speed - wow! IIRC my 1200 was a couple hundred dollars!

Great job Kier, Mike and Ashley!

Well, that just started a trip down memory lane! :D

My 1200 baud modem was a real screamer back in the day. I remember dialing into a BBS and debating whether to download a 100KB file, as it would take about an hour.

Anyone remember Procomm Plus? :D

I made pancakes and coated them in Nutella and vanilla ice cream. Om nom nom nom!

Umm...sounds yummy. And you deserved them Kier. (Mike and Ashley too, even if they didn't get any;)).

Congrats to the start of a new forum generation.

xenDach

Oow, and then there was acoustic modems, where the telephone handset had to be nested into the modem after you dialed the provider.
That is what I used.. for far too long.

Now I suppose we should get back to celebrating the release of xf.. or I would probably need to split some of these modem & other posts off.. which I suppose is ok too.

That is what I used.. for far too long.

Now I suppose we should get back to celebrating the release of xf.. or I would probably need to split some of these modem & other posts off.. which I suppose is ok too.

That'd be fine. Us ancient old fossils need our own "retirement home" thread here. :D

I think in the context of this thread, though, it shows how far things have evolved. On our old DOS-based computers, running Procomm Plus and typing "go musica" to get to a favorite forum at Compuserve or dialing up a BBS, we had no idea we'd have something like a web browser, being able to run more than one program at once, all in windows that could be moved around at will. XF is like one further step in discussion group software, utilizing the latest in web technology to make it a lot more "social." All of these systems owe a debt to UBB (Ultimate Bulletin Board) who pioneered this style of forum (and how the alternatives like vBulletin, IPB, phpBB, SMF and others have flourished), but look how far the XF team has taken that idea!

It's a long way from that blinking amber cursor... ;)

Huge congrats to the entire team! Also a huge thanks to everyone involved in creating some very crucial add-ons (both in terms of the actual add-on .. but also to show there will be many lateral options to expand upon xF)!

I used to run a rather large website .. I slacked off on my side .. but the nail in the coffin for my site was my EXTREME frustration with vB particularly when it was moving towards Social Networking in the later 3.X releases! Many of you might know me as DJ RRebel over there and was screaming a few years ago at many significant flaws in their strategy and implementation of new features!

I've really had the urge to start a new community for a long time now .. but never felt confident in a single product out there! I bought xF in pre-sale as a show of support and confidence to the team ... and although xF is still a little ways off from being complete for my needs, it's engineering and approach to building what they have so far go FAR beyond my initial expectations! To the point where I'm very confident that future features will be done "properly"!

My only real concern is where things go from here and if they will be quick to implement some of the other features important to my needs ... BUT ... that's where my thanks above to the add-on community comes into place, as because of the quality of the initial product .. I see that there's a great depth to what I'll be able to do with just the basic product alone because of those other coders.

That being said .. I do have one very serious issue with this Gold release ... which is the fact that the tilt on the winkie smiley makes him look likehe's trying to squeeze out a fart! ;) lol

Top Bottom