XF 1.0 Managing Reported Content

Well, you wouldn't have seen it because it's only exposed to moderators. :)

Moderator actions are invoked using the moderator bar that is at the top of every page. In this post, I'll be focusing on how moderators handle reported content.

Handling a report is a little more formalized than you might be used to. Reports are now tracked with a status, so that it's clear what has happened and, if you leave a comment, why.

report-moderator-bar.webp

This bar makes it easy to see when you have tasks outstanding, but doesn't get in the way of reading the forum.

Inside the reported items section, you are presented with a list of outstanding (open or assigned) reports:

report-overview.webp

This does not just have to show a list of reported posts. It will show any type of comment, including profile posts or those added by add-ons. (Add-ons simply need to implement the basic reporting functionality and write some code to interact with this system.)

You can also use the button in the upper right to view recently closed reports.

Diving into the report listed, we see:

report-view.webp

This shows us the content that was reported and any comments that may have been made. If a piece of content is reported multiple times, only one report will be created but all the comments will be listed here. Each moderator that can manage the report has the option of making a comment as well. This is important when the type of action that needs to be taken isn't 100% clear. Note that users that report content can't see this page or any of the comments that are made; they are for internal use only.

To modify the report's status, you must first claim the report. This is mostly important if you have two or more people who might handle the report. Once one person claims the report, the other can see that it's being handled. After claiming the report, the view switches slightly:

report-assigned.webp

Now, using the "go to content" button (which opens in a new window), you can manage the content directly. After you have taken your course of action, you'd come back to the report view and change the status. After submitting, you're taken back to the report list view to move on to the next thing.

After a report has been closed, it can be re-opened if needed:

report-reopen-comments.webp

A moderator's comment will automatically re-open it. Another user reporting the content will cause it to be re-opened; however, all of the comments will still be available to help you decide whether an action is really necessary.

Added September 22nd:
Floris has put together a video showing how the system works. Thanks, Floris!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That would be a good solution, if it would be well integrated with the staff zone. Otherwise it could become as obscure as user notes in vbulletin.
I think it would also be good to show it to staff in member's postbit.

Ah yes, the dangers there. Staff zone? It's only the reports centre now :)

Whats been revealed here in this thread about the report center is exactly what I was hoping for. So good work, and ofcourse some stuff can still be improved like the search function.

Looks great Mike!

Very nice to see the tools behind the board, for the staff :) I especially like it that it's actually like a report system, with report tickets, rather then just a post. This makes it more organized and easier to manage.
Agreed, so far I am not disappointed in anything I have seen. I rather enjoy the ticket system approach.

Have to say the report system wouldn't be much good for the forum I admin.  We have a section we call the "received reports" log where each new report generates a new thread and the thread title is the name of the user being reported. We use those threads for discussion of any action or to note that no action has been taken. We then archive all reports into a separate section in which all reports about an individual are merged into one thread - that way we have access to all the information about a particular user in a format that can be searched for and very quickly reviewed. (Our report log now goes back 6 years and has hundreds of threads in it.)

So I'm another one that would prefer to have a report system that used the features of a forum as well as adding management,  it seems to be a bit odd to develop an excellent forum software package and then not be able to use its great features in one part of it.

+1 to the reports as threads. K.I.S.S. at work. Why have a sophisticated report subsystem with report statuses and such if simple closing of a report thread would work as an indicator that it has been handled?

Very nice. An option to forward it to another admin/moderator would be nice. For example if a staff member's post was reported as spam, another moderator may not be able to deal with it as it may cause issues between staff members and would be best left to an admin to deal with.

We are at Alpha 2. During Alpha stages we tend to increment the number when we reach significant milestones.

And no, I'm not going to say what that milestone was this time around ;)

When multiple members have reported the same content, does it create multiple reports? or does it simply log the number of times the content was reported in the original report?

Top Bottom