Fixed "Manage profile posts on own profile" don't allow people to delete own profile posts on own profile

imthebest

What title says, I think that the "Manage profile posts on own profile" permission should allow people to delete their own profile posts on their own profile (that's what the permission implies).

However even when "Manage profile posts on own profile" is set to Yes the member is still unable to delete his own profile posts from his own profile unless he is given the permission "Delete profile posts by self" which is too powerful because it allows him to delete his own profile posts on other member's profiles.

FWIW, the information in the first post is correct.

You can delete profile posts created by others from your own profile with the "Manage profile posts on own profile" permission.

To delete your own profile posts from your own profile, you must have the "Delete profile posts by self" permission. That permission also allows you to delete your own profile posts from other people's profiles.

I'm unsure if this is more of a suggestion than a bug report. Technically, it's working as designed right now.

I reported this as a bug because the phrase "Manage profile posts on own profile" makes you think that you will be able to remove any profile post on your own profile, be it from yourself or from other people. In fact, that's what the permission should do imho.

Now if you want to allow people to be able to delete their own profile posts on other people's profiles you grant them the permission "Delete profile posts by self" which I would not recommend to anyone because only the profile owner should be able to remove things from their own profile, because it's his profile.

I think there is a design issue here...

I reported this as a bug because the phrase "Manage profile posts on own profile" makes you think that you will be able to remove any profile post on your own profile, be it from yourself or from other people. In fact, that's what the permission should do imho.
I disagree... removing another users posts from your profile should be a moderator permission.. not end user.
Now if you want to allow people to be able to delete their own profile posts on other people's profiles you grant them the permission "Delete profile posts by self" which I would not recommend to anyone because only the profile owner should be able to remove things from their own profile, because it's his profile.
Again.. disagree because you don't own the profile... and you don't own the posts on it. The one who posted it has the responsibility for their post.

I think there is a design issue here...
Nope, more along the lines of philosophical difference of opinion on how it should operate.

I disagree... removing another users posts from your profile should be a moderator permission.. not end user.
"Manage profile posts on your own profile" is a user permission and it already allows you to remove any post from your own profile (but not your own from your own profile, hence the bug report).

Again.. disagree because you don't own the profile... and you don't own the posts on it. The one who posted it has the responsibility for their post.
If you have the "Delete profile posts by self" permission you can remove your own profile posts from any profile. Your own profile posts on your own profile or your profile posts on someone else's profile.

"Manage profile posts on your own profile" is a user permission and it already allows you to remove any post from your own profile (but not your own from your own profile, hence the bug report).
It's disabled on all mine so I'm the only one that can do the deletes..
If you can't remove your own from your own profile - then yes, I'd classify that as a bug. :p

Personally.. I'd love it if there was the option to just totally turn profile posts off so that they didn't even show up in any shape/form/fashion.

It's disabled on all mine so I'm the only one that can do the deletes..
If you can't remove your own from your own profile - then yes, I'd classify that as a bug. :p

Personally.. I'd love it if there was the option to just totally turn profile posts off so that they didn't even show up in any shape/form/fashion.
that would be kind of nice. Since a large majority of newbies join my forum and immediately start posting and asking questions on their profile wall instead of in the forums. 90% of the profile replies i make are explaining to new members that they would get better responses by posting their enquiries in the applicable forums.

Top Bottom