Making the move from vb4 to Xenforo

Sonya

After an embarrassingly long discussion, we are finally making the move from vB4 to Xenforo. I have an active, long lived community and I'd like to make the move as seamless as possible for my users.

I've bought the software, set up a test environment and have been playing with all the new bells and whistles. I'm excited to make the move ASAP.

Keeping in mind all the things I learned over the years with VB, I'm hoping to make this as easy for myself as possible. I would prefer to keep customization to a minimum, at least to start, so I want to use the standard style with my colors and only add on the things we really need.

I have two custom mods that we use. One is a countdown timer in signatures that uses our graphics with the timer displayed on top. I also have an extra tab on the user profile that displays a list of the threads they started in a specific forum (Trip Reports). Any suggestions on who would be best to contact to do this work for us?

Also, I've been looking over the list of add-ons we are currently using with Vbulletin and I'm not sure which I need to find replacements for and which are already addressed by Xenforo. Here is our list:

Installed Products:
Add rel="nofollow" To URL
Advanced Private Messages Option
Auto Youtube Link Parser
Automatic Tagger from Content and Title
Change Posts Owner
Disable Member Homepage URLs by BOP5
Display Unread Posts
DragonByte Tech: vBDonate (Lite)
Duplicate IP Report by BOP5
FractalizeR: Items to moderate in notifications
GlowHost - Spam O Matic
IpInfo
KeyCAPTCHA
LAM - Quote Img/Video to URL
LightIRC Chatbox Pro
Members who have Registered
Mobile Browser Detector BOP5
Multiple Login Detector
Real IP Detection
Separate Sticky and Normal Threads
Sidebar Anywhere by BOP5
Tapatalk
Welcome Headers
Wired1's Extra Profile Field Page*
Word Links FREE by BOP5

I'd love to hear any feedback you have about making the move and what I can ignore from this list of addons. Thanks!

I also have an extra tab on the user profile that displays a list of the threads they started in a specific forum (Trip Reports). Any suggestions on who would be best to contact to do this work for us?

That's interesting, I have a travel forum and I have the exact same mod :P

I don't believe it's been released in the resource manager, @Chris D built it for me a couple years ago. I can send it to you if Chris is ok with that.

Thank you! Thank you! I had fears that there would just be cricket and tumbleweeds in this thread when I checked again. :)

@DroidOne, thanks for those links. Are there any add ons in that list that are already handled well by the XF software so I don't need them anymore?

@Dakis and @Chris D, that would be great. Chris, please let me know if I should send payment somewhere.

Thank you! Thank you! I had fears that there would just be cricket and tumbleweeds in this thread when I checked again. :)

@DroidOne, thanks for those links. Are there any add ons in that list that are already handled well by the XF software so I don't need them anymore?

@Dakis and @Chris D, that would be great. Chris, please let me know if I should send payment somewhere.

You probably don't need these:

KeyCAPTCHA (XF already has support for captcha, I recommend Google Captcha)
Members who have Registered (Member list? There are plenty of member list options front-end and back-end (admin CP) )
Mobile Browser Detector BOP5 (Most XF templates are responsive by default, so no need for this)
LAM - Quote Img/Video to URL (XF does this for you I believe)
IpInfo (XF links IP to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/ for easy lookup, so no real need for this probly)
Disable Member Homepage URLs by BOP5 (You can disable this from the admin CP)

Not sure what a few of the add-ons you use do, so there might be more you don't need. These are just the most obvious ones :) I left VB almost a year ago and we ran 3.8, so I'm afraid I can't be of much more help.

Top Bottom