MacBook Pro to have retina display

The only hold back for Apple is the price. When the Apple price equals that of 2 1/2 high end gaming PC's .... It is a draw back. Should they actually lower that price at the time of the release of Windows 8 (smart thing would be to do it just before, so it's in the back of people's minds for a while) ..... Microsoft is toast

The only hold back for Apple is the price. When the Apple price equals that of 2 1/2 high end gaming PC's .... It is a draw back. Should they actually lower that price at the time of the release of Windows 8 (smart thing would be to do it just before, so it's in the back of people's minds for a while) ..... Microsoft is toast

I doubt, anywhere in the future, the price will be lowered.

My Mac Pro is 4 years old and I will probably use it, with some slight upgrades, for another 3-4 years. If Windoz Pros honestly can say they have a lower cost per month, when everything is included, I'd be amazed...

I'm typing this on a 13" Macbook air. It's probably the best computer I ever owned.

Talking about the price, for those who make some money from their machines, seems almost silly. It's like complaing about how expensive XF is. Time is money. My Mac Pro will end up costing me about $30 a month over it's life (including upgrades), maybe less because I sell the used ones for a decent price.

Seriously, does anyone see a difference between spending $25 a month...or $30 a month?

Apple did not become the largest corporation in the USA by selling products at a "dumb" price. In fact, they did the opposite - provided a greater total value than the competition.

Retina? Who cares? I guess if you watch a lot of HD vids and have perfect eyes you can make a case for it. What I waited for before going "air" was the Led-lit keyboard, which they took out of the second model. If I can't use it in the dark, I don't want it!

Can't wait for normal laptops to get decent resolutions now

Would kill for a 13" laptop/ultrabook with 1080p resolution at a sensible price

I've never looked back since throwing my Windows laptops in the bin and getting a MacBook Pro. As craigiri says above, the higher cost initially is compensated for by the longevity of the machine (and I have just doubled my RAM to 8GB, for £30 from Crucial!) and higher productivity. My resistance at leaving Windows was worn down by the fact I can and do dual boot into Windows 7 if I need to, but I rarely do.

I'd love a MacBook Air and if the rumours are true, a small price drop is on the cards to ensure Apple still compete with the Ultrabooks. I'd probably put that ahead of buying another MacBook Pro. Whilst the retina displays sound good, I'm less happy at the trend to lose ports (I seem to be the only person left on the planet who prefers the stability and speed of a wired in ethernet connection).

I'm also interested to see what they do with the new iMacs.

My last remaining desktop computer is a PC which serves and records half a dozen CCTV cameras, it's the only application I haven't found is done better on a Mac (due to lack of software in that area).

Why would you want Air instead of MBP except for the weight? If the rumors are true the new MBP is thinner and lighter.
I don't own any Apple laptop so I don't know the ins and outs.
I have used a Thinkpad T60 since 2006 and has it working 24/7 for the past 6 years. It's rock solid. I love, love, love the trackpoint feature on the TP. It is so much productive to do stuff without raising a finger and move around on the trackpad.
That said, when I look around at alternatives to replace the T60, the upcoming MBP sounds very attractive, specially retina screen. I have the new iPad so once you see the new resolution, it's hard to go back to lesser version.
My T60 is 14.1" LCD (1400x1050) so it works really well for what I do. I'm still deciding if going to 15" or down to 13" is better.

Weight is very important to me - a few pounds is a LOT.

I like having it on my lap - and although I don't travel that much, I do enjoy traveling with this machine.

My last computer was a Macbook Unibody - I had it for three years and sold it used for 700. I paid about 1100 for it, so that is a good idea of holding value! I guess that one only cost me $10 a month or so!

I don't do a lot of heavy video editing or anything where I need super speed capacity. The SSD and tuned system in this Air make it seem very fast in everything I normally do (which is 90% internet based and a bit of photoshop, iphoto and other assorted tasks).

The lack of a hard drive is a big plus, IMHO.

That all said, if you need it as your only computer and store a lot of video, 10's of thousands of songs and photos, etc. etc. then the larger storage of a hard drive might have appeal. I store all the big stuff on the Mac Pro on a 2nd drive.

It really depends on what you are comparing... If you price out a comparably equipped Dell or HP laptop they are about the same. Remember, the retina MBP comes standard with quad-core CPU, 8GB RAM and 512GB solid state drive (the drive ALONE is a $900 option on Dell laptops). So if you actually want a high-end machine, the cost ends up being roughly the same... and you get the amazing retina screen as a "bonus" (since that's not even an option on other stuff).

Plus, you could also factor in the cost of operating system upgrades in the future... Mac OS X is $19.99 (and you get a license to install it on as many machines as you have).

It really depends on what you are comparing... If you price out a comparably equipped Dell or HP laptop they are about the same. Remember, the retina MBP comes standard with quad-core CPU, 8GB RAM and 512GB solid state drive (the drive ALONE is a $900 option on Dell laptops). So if you actually want a high-end machine, the cost ends up being roughly the same... and you get the amazing retina screen as a "bonus" (since that's not even an option on other stuff).

Plus, you could also factor in the cost of operating system upgrades in the future... Mac OS X is $19.99 (and you get a license to install it on as many machines as you have).
I compare not their laptops, but their Mac Pro.

I can build or even buy a pc with the same specs for less.

I'm not getting it. Yeah, the high resolution is nice, but I bought my Mac so that I didn't have to upgrade for a good few years at least.

I compare not their laptops, but their Mac Pro.

I can build or even buy a pc with the same specs for less.
Oh yeah... the towers are definitely overpriced. I want to upgrade the one from 2008 I have, but meh... not worth the price. But at least it's still a good machine even by today's standards, 4 1/2 years later. I did see they dropped the base price of their high end Mac Pro config (12-core) from $5000 to $3800... still too expensive though.

It is Apple we are talking about. Upgrade early and often is the motto ;)

Yeah, you kind of have to if you want the latest software. Then again anything beyond snow leopard is a downgrade in my book.

I'm definitely getting the new MBP at some point, I'm just waiting about a month to see whether the reviews are good and to see if manually upgrading the RAM is doable.

Main reason I'd be upgrading is because my current MBP is having a hard time keeping up with the work I'm doing, not cause I simply want the latest.

Top Bottom