MacBook Pro to have retina display

Yeah i will wait some months to see if there will be a 13inch version... But i think i will go for the standard 15inch retina version with 16GB.

Congrats on the new purchase; I'm about to get one myself, but I do have some reservations about the Retina display. How have you found it to be with daily use and web browsing? I don't know if I can wait long enough for the world to catch up to HiDPI screens...

I'm loving it. Most modern sites do fairly well since the text and all CSS effects (borders, border-radius, drop shadows, etc.) are scaled up automatically. The only things that don't hold up are images and icons. The increased text quality and clarity is well worth the downside of having slightly-pixelated looking images though. Some websites look amazingly beautiful on this new display.

Native Apple applications look amazing, as do applications that already support the Retina-level resolution (Espresso and Coda are a joy to use, for example). Unfortunately many applications that don't look quite ugly, especially if they involve heavy amounts of text. (Microsoft Office will make you cringe, for example.)

The web will eventually have to catchup to these HiDPI displays, and I have a feeling it's going to be a long process. That was part of the reason I wanted one though, so that going forward I can design responsively for HiDPI displays, because it's going to be the future. You can't really design for something that you don't have. And when it's done right, it makes the web look stunning.

Source?
That would be nice to know we can upgrade the SSD.
As step 10 on this page shows, the flash storage module (I hesitate to call it an SSD since it technically isn't in a "drive" format) is removable, although proprietary. We will need to wait a few months for manufacturers to make third-party replacements until it would technically be upgradeable/replaceable. But it is physically removable.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display-Teardown/9462/2#s36196

The web will eventually have to catchup to these HiDPI displays, and I have a feeling it's going to be a long process. That was part of the reason I wanted one though, so that going forward I can design responsively for HiDPI displays, because it's going to be the future. You can't really design for something that you don't have. And when it's done right, it makes the web look stunning.
Part of why I bought an ipad 3 and probably will buy retina MBP. These are my first Apple purchases.
I already replace my PNG icon with SVG and it looks incredible on my iPad.
Now i just need to see how to replace the rest of the icons.

I am refraining from buying the MBPR because I don't want to see how bad websites look with it. Most of the websites that I visit are all small-mid sized forums(with the occasional large forum) and I just have a feeling that they would look horrible with a retina display. Does anyone have any experience with small-mid sized websites? I don't want to have to wait for them to update their logos so should I wait to buy it(say a couple of months) or should I wait until the next iteration of the MBPR?

I don't want to have to wait for them to update their logos so should I wait to buy it(say a couple of months) or should I wait until the next iteration of the MBPR?

Like I said, most websites look fine. All text and CSS-styled elements are "Retina'd" automatically. As far as waiting for the next gen, the only benefit that would give you would be additional time for websites to get updated. The next generation won't be able to fix any of the issues all by itself - you'll still have the same problem of website authors not updating their sites with HiDPI graphics, just hopefully less of them.

Like I said, most websites look fine. All text and CSS-styled elements are "Retina'd" automatically. As far as waiting for the next gen, the only benefit that would give you would be additional time for websites to get updated. The next generation won't be able to fix any of the issues all by itself - you'll still have the same problem of website authors not updating their sites with HiDPI graphics, just hopefully less of them.
I think it might be best to wait, people that didn't update their sites until now probably felt that the iPad was just a mobile device but now that the retina display has been introduced to computers they will have to update or remain using the outdated graphics that they have and get left behind in the retina world of the future.

Now that the Retina Display has come to the MacBook Pro, it will eventually come to competing devices, too. At this point, it won't be long until high-resolution displays can be found on all the usual OEM computers. And that's a good thing, it will make hi-res more or less a standard and thus will ensure web developers update their sites and graphics to play nicely with such resolutions.

I have no interest in the Retina display, I am however buying my first Macbook Pro soon. This will be my first Mac ever, I can't wait.

I have no interest in the Retina display, I am however buying my first Macbook Pro soon. This will be my first Mac ever, I can't wait.
Trust me, they are amazing.

Back to the MBPR though, does anyone know the r/w speeds of the SSD? Are they the same as the new MBA(500MB/s if memory serves me correctly)?

Back to the MBPR though, does anyone know the r/w speeds of the SSD? Are they the same as the new MBA(500MB/s if memory serves me correctly)?
After doing some shopping around today, the SSD r/w speeds are 250 to 750 MB/s so yes the same as the new MBA but those numbers depend on the number of SSD's you have combined in your Mac.

Yep.

disk_speed_test_-_macbook_pro_ssd_620px.png

Edit: Just did this test on my own machine, got 401.5 and 450.8. FWIW.

What size do you have? Are you running multiple drives? I'm just curious.
I have the 256 GB drive. All MacBooks (Air and Pro) only have 1 SSD in them. :)

(Remember, we are talking about the MacBook Pro, the link you gave above is for drives for the Mac Pro, Apple's desktop machine.)

Edit: I guess it looks like you can technically use those drives in a MacBook Pro, but that's the older, non-Retina generation. You can't swap out the SSD "module" in the Retina MacBook Pro because it's a custom, proprietary design which doesn't have replacements yet. There is also only one "module" as well. The machine is so thin that it's built more like an iPad with extremely small, custom parts rather than a standard laptop computer.

How long is your shipping time? What is the turn around from order to receiving it.
I bought it in store (first one the store sold, actually), so I didn't have to wait for shipping. The shipping queue is 3-4 weeks now though.

How long is your shipping time? What is the turn around from order to receiving it.
I just ordered one yesterday and the shipping is 3-4 weeks for me. Estimated delivery is anywhere between July 19-25. Although I have heard some are getting their notebooks just days after ordering, so you never know. I'm hoping it might come a little earlier for me.

I have the 256 GB drive. All MacBooks (Air and Pro) only have 1 SSD in them. :)

(Remember, we are talking about the MacBook Pro, the link you gave above is for drives for the Mac Pro, Apple's desktop machine.)

Edit: I guess it looks like you can technically use those drives in a MacBook Pro, but that's the older, non-Retina generation. You can't swap out the SSD "module" in the Retina MacBook Pro because it's a custom, proprietary design which doesn't have replacements yet. There is also only one "module" as well. The machine is so thin that it's built more like an iPad with extremely small, custom parts rather than a standard laptop computer.
Yep that is what I read as well. Didn't know I linked to the Mac Pro, my bad. Where I am getting my Macbook Pro they don't have the Retina yet so honestly what is better in your opinion, lighter vs heavier, SSD vs HDD?

The MacBook I'm getting is the newest model, aside from Retina but can't say I'm anxious for Retina.

Top Bottom