MacBook Pro to have retina display

I checked out the MBP today at a local store and it's really a beautiful machine.
I think it's time I upgrade from my 2006 Thinkpad T60. That dang thing is built like a tank and never die even I push it 24/7 for the past 6 years.
Yeah I'm getting one next week. Base model. Don't need the 16GB Ram upgrade either. That's over kill.

You already got enough money to pay for the MBP from ads on your website? Congrats.
Nah I asked my mom to buy it. :D

Still have no ads on my site. Looking for a good ad network.

I regret reading this thread or I wouldn't have wanted one.

Getting one later this week. I'm looking up what apps to download since I've never owned an apple computer before. Know of any good mac sites?

I haven't had any problems with the MagSafe. It almost makes me wonder if there was a manufacturing issue with some of them... Mine grips quite strong and I have to apply quite a bit of force to remove it... if I had to say the magnet was "too strong" or "too weak" I would probably say it's too strong for my taste vs. too weak. It's very far from the point of "it falls out if you look at it funny." But YMMV.

As far as the T design, this is my first Mac, so I never had experience with the older design, but I haven't found the protrusion to be an issue with daily use...

I can make a video of messing with the MagSafe tomorrow...

Really the only issue that I can find with it as it stands today is that occasionally the UI performance is a bit slower than I would want it to be... This is likely due to the fact that neither the integrated Intel graphics nor the nVidia discrete chip were designed to push the 5 million+ pixels of the Retina display.

This was hugely improved in Mountain Lion, specifically in Safari (I use Safari 6 now for daily browsing rather than Chrome because it actually renders pages much faster and scrolling is smoother), but it's still not 100% there.

Anand has taken a good look at this here:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/8

It personally doesn't bother me, and it's noticeable only occasionally, but it's something to keep in mind if you are on the fence. Waiting until next year's refresh might provide some relief in this area if Apple upgrades the CPU and GPU with components designed to push such a high resolution.

With that being said, the machine still performs amazingly and the integrated HD 4000 graphics can handle everything aside from gaming/intensive 3D graphics, so it's not like you need to fire up the discrete chip and burn battery life if you want to watch a YouTube video in fullscreen or something (this is something else that's been improved in Mountaion Lion - the discrete chip is switched to much less frequently).

Only other complaint is that it can heat up your lap quite a bit if you are doing something intensive, but the fan noise and battery life are very reasonable and this is nothing new to the MacBook Pro line...

Top Bottom