MacBook Pro to have retina display

Watched the video for the MacBook Pro with Retina, yeah I have 2 HD TV's and an HD monitor so not really interested in a Retina display, just seems to me a quick way to make extra bucks.

Watched the video for the MacBook Pro with Retina, yeah I have 2 HD TV's and an HD monitor so not really interested in a Retina display, just seems to me a quick way to make extra bucks.
Can you carry your HD TV's and your HD monitor around with you in your laptop bag? ;)

But in all honesty, don't buy something you don't want. :)

Can you carry your HD TV's and your HD monitor around with you in your laptop bag? ;)

But in all honesty, don't buy something you don't want. :)
The monitor I can, its a crystal flat panel that fits snuggly in a laptop bag but I wouldn't do that.

Yeah, I can't see myself purchasing a MacBook with Retina when I will do all video watching and video creation on my PC. The main reason for a Mac is school, app creation, and website development. That is about it.

I went to best buy, played around with the macbook pro with retina and I have seen the light.

I need one.

Badly.

Yesterday.

Today.

Tomorrow.

NOW.

I own no Apple products, but this will be my first.

Maybe in a year or two the MBPR will be like <$1800? I'd like that very much :).
I would bet that the base model will be at $1799 or $1899 in two years for sure.
Nope... what they will do is leave the price the same but upgrade components. For example the base models will probably get the retina display at some point, more RAM, faster CPUs, more drive space, etc. But pricing of each model will stay relatively static.

Nope... what they will do is leave the price the same but upgrade components. For example the base models will probably get the retina display at some point, more RAM, faster CPUs, more drive space, etc. But pricing of each model will stay relatively static.
I don't agree with this simply because the price premium of the Retina models currently comes from the high price of such a high-resolution panel, and the high price of SSD's compared to a standard HDD. As these screens are produced in much higher quantities and the price of SSD's continues to drop, the prices will drop.

Especially as these machines are becoming more consumerized, I can't see Apple keeping the price premium.

Well considering the MBPs have been more or less unchanged in price for the last 7-8 years, I'm not sure why they would start dropping the pricing. Apple doesn't need to compete on price, which is why they have like 40% margins... I suspect they will just keep making them better for the same price like they always have.

Well considering the MBPs have been more or less unchanged in price for the last 7-8 years, I'm not sure why they would start dropping the pricing. Apple doesn't need to compete on price, which is why they have like 40% margins... I suspect they will just keep making them better for the same price like they always have.
The difference here is that they have two MacBook Pro models, the regular one at $1799. and then the next-gen one at $2199. It would make sense that once the Retina MacBook Pro becomes "THE" MacBook Pro, the pricing would drop to the standard $1799 MBP pricing.

The difference here is that they have two MacBook Pro models, the regular one at $1799. and then the next-gen one at $2199. It would make sense that once the Retina MacBook Pro becomes "THE" MacBook Pro, the pricing would drop to the standard $1799 MBP pricing.
Yeah... but they will still have a high-end model that is still more expensive... probably will have something like an 8-core processor, 1GB SSD and 32GB RAM standard by then...

They have *always* had a high-end MBP of some sort... currently it's a retina display one... before it was a 17" one. Maybe the future one will be a 17" retina display version.

MacBook Pro's were first introduced in 2006...

They had a $2500 MBP in 2006:
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/02/14Apple-Begins-Shipping-MacBook-Pro.html

They had a $2500 MBP in 2007:
http://www.cnet.com/laptops/apple-macbook-pro-2007/4505-3121_7-32465635.html

They had a $2500 MBP in 2008:
http://gizmodo.com/5063016/macbook-pro-2008-is-apples-most-boomtastic-notebook-ever

They had a $2500 MBP in 2009:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2783/apple-s-2009-macbook-pro-battery-life-to-die-for

In 2010, the "high-end" dropped to $2300:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20002333-1.html

In 2011, it was back to $2500:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...prise_with_late_2011_macbook_pro_refresh.html

The high-end configuration is now $2800 in 2012:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro/select

I can see the high-end going back down to $2500 once retina screens are cheaper to make, but that's about it (at least for their top-end model).

I checked out the MBP today at a local store and it's really a beautiful machine.
I think it's time I upgrade from my 2006 Thinkpad T60. That dang thing is built like a tank and never die even I push it 24/7 for the past 6 years.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. What I'm trying to say is that right now, the Retina MacBook Pro (next-gen) and the older-design MacBook Pro (current-gen) are two separate product families. There is both a high and low end config within each of them.

As it is right now the Retina MacBook Pro is an even more "premium" product family then the MacBook Pro - it's base model is the same price as the current-gen MBP's high-end model ($2199).

When Apple phases out the current-gen design without the Retina screen next year, the prices for the screen will have decreased and Apple will be able to move the Retina MacBook Pro into the current MacBook Pro's product slot - it will become THE MacBook Pro.

To illustrate my point, if we look at the 15 inch MacBook Pro so we are comparing the same product:
Same press release shows the starting model is $1999.

Starting model is $1999.

Starting model $1999.

Starting model (15 inch) is $1699.
Starting model $1799.
Starting model is $1799.
Again, I don't think this is a fair comparison since the Retina MacBook Pro is a different product. The high end current-gen MBP is $2199, and the starting model is $1799.

I understand that Apple will always offer a very expensive high-end product - if you configure the Retina MacBook Pro with all the BTO options today, it comes out to a whopping $3749.

What I am trying to point out is that next year the "current-gen" design is going to disappear, leaving the Retina MacBook Pro design as the one and only MacBook Pro (they will probably drop the "with Retina Display" moniker).

If the prices stayed as they are currently, that would mean the very lowest, starting option would be $2199, as it is now. That's a full $2oo more expensive than the starting model has ever been in the 15-inch MacBook Pro's past 6 year history, and at the very least $400 more expensive than the starting model's price in the last three years.

I can't see Apple offering the base model of the MacBook Pro for $2199, especially because the screen and SSD components will decrease rapidly in price over the next one or two years. If you look at the price history of the starting model, it just makes sense that at the very most it would be priced at $1999.

So to answer a legacy reborn's original question, yes, I find it very likely that in one or two years, when the Retina MBP design becomes the only MBP design, the starting model Retina MacBook Pro (the cheapest option you can buy - the model I bought a week ago) will be priced around $1800 or $1900, at the very most $1999. :)

Digitalpoint, do you understand my reasoning? :)

Top Bottom