Mac Antivirus

• Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
S

Syndol

Could anyone recommend a preferably free antivirus for a mac running on an old OS 10.5.8
I really just need it to occasionally scan the computer rather than constantly running in the background.
I know there are a few out there but they all seem to have their downsides so hopefully someone here has some good experience with one product or another. Thanks.

Ummmmm. I wouldn't go THAT far. Scuttlebutt has it that Avast's Germany servers got nailed recently and credit card information was stolen from the databases.

Ummmmm. I wouldn't go THAT far. Scuttlebutt has it that Avast's Germany servers got nailed recently and credit card information was stolen from the databases.
I thought you were calling me a scuttlebutt, haha. Had to google that.

OT: I'd be using the free version, only monitoring my internet browsing. Nothing more than that. Plus Avast is free, I'd really hate to pay for something really specific considering the mac virus ratio is low.

Most Mac antivirus apps are bad. They slow down the system, cause unexplained conflicts, and don't really help you that much. The most serious Mac problems have been traced to Java, which is Oracle's product. Apple is more proactive about getting you updates these days.

In the end, the best thing to do is not download files you didn't expect, nor accept links from emails unless you know where they really point -- and that's not necessarily so when it comes to some of those links. Just be careful, and there shouldn't be a serious need for malware protection right now.

If you want something as a precaution, Intego has some really make-like products to consider.

Most Mac antivirus apps are bad. They slow down the system, cause unexplained conflicts, and don't really help you that much. The most serious Mac problems have been traced to Java, which is Oracle's product. Apple is more proactive about getting you updates these days.

In the end, the best thing to do is not download files you didn't expect, nor accept links from emails unless you know where they really point -- and that's not necessarily so when it comes to some of those links. Just be careful, and there shouldn't be a serious need for malware protection right now.

If you want something as a precaution, Intego has some really make-like products to consider.
Honestly most mac apps are a real PITA unless it made for mac, so I can see your point. Gonna bookmark Intego, seems like the perfect thing for the job, but is a bit pricey though for yearly subs.

Honestly, I don't see the need yet, but if things get worse, Intego's stuff is still worth the money. Intego's cheapest products are $37.49 at their U.S. site.

Top Bottom