Looking for Developer to take over addons

I've already stated my opinion on the situation of "investing up front to develop addons" as opposed to the normal way of "you pay me, I deliver code to you, end of story" in the other thread, so I won't re-iterate that.

What I do feel like I should chime in on though, is the idea of supporting already developed add-ons under a similar scheme. There are two main pitfalls I can see with this system:
1) Who sells the addon on what site, and who controls the money?
2) What happens if the quality of the code isn't great?

In this post I want to add my perspective as to why I believe they can be pitfalls, and offer some potential solutions :)

I'll address the easiest first, #2. I have quite a bit of experience having to support other people's code, code that sometimes leaves something to be desired in terms of quality and coding style. I've also quite a bit of experience writing terrible code, although in my defence if I write terrible, hacky code it's usually for a reason :P

Joking aside, the point I'm trying to make is that every coder has their own way of coding things, their own internal standard, and taking over someone else's work may find that work conflicting with those standards. This is way less likely to happen on XF2 since, unlike vBulletin, XF2 has a rather standardised framework that mandates certain aspects of the quality of the code.

Potential solution: As these add-ons has the potential of going through multiple different developers, I would recommend that you mandate compliance with XF2 standards (e.g. resource guidelines & beyond), and potentially also look into paying other developers to peer review the addon. That way, you can ensure that the quality of the product(s) is as top-notch as possible, making the lives of you and your future developers easier :)

For the first point, as to who sells the product & controls the money, the TL;DR would be that you would need a very robust set of tools that gives your developer real-time indication as to when products are sold and how much they will be earning.

I would not recommend that the developer sells the tool on their own site, as that would lead to copyright problems and support expectation problems.

For instance, if Customer A purchased a product from us (DBTech), and then later we lost the reselling rights, where would the customer go for support if they encountered a problem 6 months down the line? Where would they go for updates?
Initially, they would come to us (DBTech), and then we'd have to tell them "no actually you need to go over there now, and then work out a way to port your license over to that site", which is a customer support nightmare.

Potential solution: For that reason, you would need to run & maintain the site selling the products, and you would (as mentioned earlier) need to ensure that there's no way either of you could hide payments from the other - you would need a way for the developer to see sales & projected income in real-time.

(Typing out that solution gave me an idea for our own eCommerce tool, but I digress.)

In summary, I hope this post helped in some way. It's an interesting idea, and I would love to know if it actually would work in practice :)

Fillip

Ok, the way I am now seeing this is that it is very hard to do something good any more because of all the risk of greed by others and the mistrust. In my day a handshake and a person's word was what we went on...see how we are all now destroying this world...

Anyway, whilst I would like to believe that my concept would work and help other site owners I feel that I may just be better off keeping the addons that I have/getting developed to myself and just for my own site. I think they are some great addons and they all help to make my site much better.

Unless someone can come up with a better idea?

I just thought that there was a win win situation for myself, a developer and other site owners.

Ok, the way I am now seeing this is that it is very hard to do something good any more because of all the risk of greed by others and the mistrust. In my day a handshake and a person's word was what we went on...see how we are all now destroying this world...
That still works. You can still find trusted members of our community who would take the offer without cheating.
The thing is, once it won't pay off itself anymore, no developer would be willing to support it anyways, no matter who owns the license. That certainly is a win-win situation for the developer, but not for you, neither for other site owners. On the other hand, it should be pretty straight forward why no developer would provide support for a dead addon.

So it boils down to what @DragonByte Tech or I have suggested - sell the addon yourself and hire someone to update the addon. If you would never reach the break even point this way, no developer ever would either. If you do reach it, well, congrats, not only are you making money now, your addon is also getting constantly updated.
You don't need an own site either, you can do that with the RM here and some external payment services with small or no fees aswell. That would remove the necessity for you to maintain an ecommerce platform.

And just as a matter of fact, updating addons throughout the XF patch versions (2.0.x) is not an expensive job if you have someone who is familiar with the addon code. Minor versions (2.y) are not released that often and big external APIs don't change often either.

I already have an eCommerce solution (CS-Cart at www.clearprop.com.au) where it could be set up to email both the support developer and myself every purchase so that's not an issue and provides the customer with instant download of the addon.

Doing it myself without day to day support may be an option but developers have got bad names by either giving very little or no support at all for paid addons (i.e. Jaxel, GoodForNothing, etc). I wonder is I spell out that I am not a developer so can not offer a lot of support but are keeping them working for myself anyway would help. If there are any show stopper issues on a standard XF install I would go back to the developer who created them and knows their own coding anyway...thinking...thinking...

In my day a handshake and a person's word was what we went on
Doing it myself without day to day support may be an option
Why is the original developer not available to support/maintain the add-on for you?
After reading the thread, I'm left wondering why you don't just sell it yourself and get your developer to fix issues and/or add features as directed/approved by you. This seems to have worked for a few other add-ons.

The developer that I had create the addons is just a development house and nothing else. Releasing them myself is something I am thinking about and if anyone wanted something extra done to them to suit their own needs I would just act as the intermediate to the development house that is/has created them with a direct 100% cost to the person wanting the bespoke changes.

You are paying for these addons anyway.
So when you let developing it, make an agreement with the devs that they must provide for 3, 6, 12 months (whatever fits) bug fixes for any happening problems (maybe except for problems caused by styles or other addons).

Sell the addon yourself and use that money either to get your investment back or to hire the same dev or another to make enhancements.

What is wrong with that? By that the dev gets paid. You get an income stream and you can decide what to do with it and the community can purchase your addons and help you out ironing the addon (by reporting bugs) and are happy to have them.

I wonder is I spell out that I am not a developer so can not offer a lot of support but are keeping them working for myself anyway would help.
As I said, I would look into the aMember integration addon thread (https://xenforo.com/community/resources/amember-pro-with-xenforo2-plugin.6550/). It's pretty much the same situation. There are also other addons here on XF which are sold by X, but supported by Y aswell.
Ironically, that's actually how every company account here on XF works aswell. They post with their company account, but the actual support is provided with their individual accounts.
So if you phrase it like "we've partnered up with Y, they will continue development" that should be fine. You will just have to provide basic support yourself then.

The problem you are going to have is trying to get a developer that is active on this site or active with XF with comments like this:
all because of addon developers with most just being backyarders

Many XF site owners are now very seriously thinking about or have moved to IPS.
Didn’t you move your forum to IPS because it is better and addon devs are better?

I really hope you get someone on board to work on this project with you, the community could use some of the addons you described.

Since you seem to have engaged in discussing this with people, I'll offer some quick perspective. It's not a bad deal in itself and adds some add-ons to the market. There's a few details that become an issue.

The first is that the interested developer would (obviously) need to be able to pick and choose add-ons to take on board. You're asking them to maintain them and ultimately take liability for any bugs in the product, as well as provide effective support to customers of the add-ons. Long term maintenance and support can be a bigger task than initial development, especially if the initial codebase sucks and requires a rewrite anyway. They're incurring the majority of the liability in this situation, and seemingly don't profit until your initial development costs were paid off.

The second falls on the profit aspect, that they don't profit until your development costs are recouped. A singular add-on is not always going to be such a generator of revenue in XenForo. I'd have concerns over how much profit potential remains after your investment is repaid, for some add-ons, depending on how niche they are, this can be quite problematic. There are larger add-ons (such as blog add-ons) that are fairly unfeasible simply due to the time investment compared to the profit potential - they'd just end up being losses. I see this as potentially being a financial loss, especially after you factor in the time ironing out the little details with you and repaying you, the time checking the code, updating and maintaining the add-ons, and supporting customers with them. Then also any extra time spent pertaining to the add-ons elsewhere.

I think it's a fair and well-intended offer, but there's a presumption that the majority of the time commitment is the initial development. This isn't always the case, and with more complex affairs and for longer-term add-ons it probably isn't. Personally, I'd say for my add-ons the time commitment is mainly in support and long term maintenance. The feasibility for an interested party to undertake this offer varies, some people will be more able to than others. It certainly doesn't seem to be an unrealistic or malicious offer, it's just more suitable for some than others. Some replies seem to lack this understanding.

It's not uncommon for a customer to get bespoke development and work out an arrangement with the developer to have the add-on sold and maintained with a profit split, I think @Stuart Wright has commonly done something like this? In these cases, though, since the developer was the one to code it they're going to be more confident with the codebase so this isn't very different to them selling an add-on themselves and easier to maintain. For add-ons coded by someone else, the time commitment also varies on the quality of the code. If it ends up meaning there needs to be a complete recode then such an arrangement is almost always going to result in a loss. Do note that even an initial code inspection will not always spot such issues, sometimes issues are not visible until the application has been tried and tested.

Last edited:
Reading this thread and I really get to see how little people understand about developers and what is required to make a living doing it. It's no wonder we have had so much talent up and leave. Please stop assuming developers make a lot of money doing this, please stop asking for life long support plans, that's not a thing, and try to understand how difficult it is to build complex third party distributed pieces of code on an ever changing third party platform.

Firstly I want to thank 2 contributors to this thread, @S Thomas and @DragonByte Tech for their input, thanks.

I think I am just an average user of XF and I can say like many other users I have been burnt by addons far more times than I have had successes, this is only brought about by developers which has resulted in giving them a bad name, we are in a backyard environment and I can say with knowledge and experience that most developers at this level are backyarders hence why we are all bitten so much. Incidentally, in my day time job I am dealing with professional developers every single minute of every single day, I have just completed a $35m Asset Management System and $5.5 CRM system for a large Water Utilility and currently working in getting a massive SAP implementation in a statewide railway network across an entire State. I have been doing this kind of work as a PMO Director for over 35 years and as I said I am dealing with ICT development every single minute and at a level far far above that of many of the developers here...in fact just the test team that I currently have contains 28 resources. So please don't try and tell me about the poor man developer who chooses themself to be in this environment where just about anyone who knows an IF...THEN...ELSE statement calls themself a developer. I know what a professional developer is and there is only a couple here that I would call professional

Now that I have that off my chest, I am leaning towards offering the addons myself, with very limited support and go back to the development house to fix any issues related to a standard XF install and any bespoke development that someone may need and perhaps review the situation again after a short period of time.

Last edited:
Incidentally, in my day time job I am dealing with professional developers every single minute of every single day, I have just completed a $35m Asset Management System and $5.5 CRM system for a large Water Utilility and currently working in getting a massive SAP implementation in a statewide railway network across an entire State. I have been doing this kind of work as a PMO Director for over 35 years and as I said I am dealing with ICT development every single minute and at a level far far above that of many of the developers here...in fact just the test team that I currently have contains 28 resources.
I hope you realise that nothing of what you said here is comparable to addon development. The CRM system, was that built on top of WordPress? Was it built on top of any third party technology (libraries notwithstanding), that the developer didn’t explicitly choose?

If not, then how is this related, how does this counter what @Mike Creuzer said?

His point, I believe, was that when you develop for XenForo, you are relying on the developers of XenForo for your livelihood. If the XF team decides tomorrow to shut this site down, then we are all out on the street if we have put our eggs in XF’s basket.

The developers of your SAP or CRM system, if the clients decided not to use the product, would your developers no longer get paid? If the clients decided to cancel the contract partway through, is there not a clause to require payment for work partway done?

Literally the only similarity between these two types of projects is the core programming languages.

That being said, I do agree with you that there are people who release addons and ask for money even though they took a “beat it till it works” approach, but in time the resource guidelines should weed out the worst offenders.

Fillip

Firstly I want to thank 2 contributors to this thread, @S Thomas and @DragonByte Tech for their input, thanks.

I think I am just an average user of XF and I can say like many other users I have been burnt by addons far more times than I have had successes, this is only brought about by developers which has resulted in giving them a bad name, we are in a backyard environment and I can say with knowledge and experience that most developers at this level are backyarders hence why we are all bitten so much. Incidentally, in my day time job I am dealing with professional developers every single minute of every single day, I have just completed a $35m Asset Management System and $5.5 CRM system for a large Water Utilility and currently working in getting a massive SAP implementation in a statewide railway network across an entire State. I have been doing this kind of work as a PMO Director for over 35 years and as I said I am dealing with ICT development every single minute and at a level far far above that of many of the developers here...in fact just the test team that I currently have contains 28 resources. So please don't try and tell me about the poor man developer who chooses themself to be in this environment where just about anyone who knows an IF...THEN...ELSE statement calls themself a developer. I know what a professional developer is and there is only a couple here that I would call professional

Now that I have that off my chest, I am leaning towards offering the addons myself, with very limited support and go back to the development house to fix any issues related to a standard XF install and any bespoke development that someone may need and perhaps review the situation again after a short period of time.
Most developers won't see more than $10k-100k from selling add-ons on XenForo, and most won't see that in their whole life time of offering services. The top developers likely will, but they also charge exponentially more, and they're also very unlikely to do more than laugh at your conditions.

Ignoring the rest of your post because anything I say will get me a warning :).

Crikey, if it is all so bad for you developers then why bother doing it...it is your choice to do it and no one elses so it really isn't that bad because if it was then you simply wouldn't be doing it. So why make the choice to do it and then continually complain about you making the choice whilst putting the blame on everyone and everything else like moving goal posts in xf developement...it's was your dhoice, no money in it...its your choice (there are thousands of jobs for developers earning $1,000 a day in many countries), if XF shuts down tomorrow you lose...it's your choice, people don't understand etc...its your choice. So come on guys stop the complaining when it has always only ever been your choice to do what you are doing and no one elses...sorry but I just don't listen to those that complain about a choice they continually make and don't do something better for themselves...as I said developers are making $150,000 to over $200,000 a year without the need to complain to everyone for choosing to do what they are doing...crikey, I've had enough of this thread and all I was trying to do was to help as many others as I could by proposing what may be a win win for many...see, thinking positive

Crikey, if it is all so bad for you developers then why bother doing it [...] So why make the choice to do it and then continually complain about you making the choice whilst putting the blame on everyone and everything else like moving goal posts in xf developement [...]
We never complain about us making the choice. No-one in this thread has ever complained about the choice we made. You are confusing "making someone aware that we make less money on XF than in their million dollar SAP / CRM projects" with "complaining that we don't make as much money as million dollar SAP / CRM projects".

What we are doing is letting you know that your deal may not be as fair in reality to us as it seems like on paper to you.
What you are doing is reacting like a child, sticking your fingers in your ears and going "LALALA NOT LISTENING LALALA".

Do you think it's fair, reasonable and mature to react in the way you just did?

Do you think it's possible that you should instead have thought "hmm, these developers are giving me information I didn't previously have. I should probably re-evaluate the assumptions I made, as it would appear as if I may have been wrong."?

We understand that your intentions were good. We understand that you want to create a system that would have less risk for both investor and developer. Please in turn understand that if we give you pushback, it's not because we hate you or your system, it's because we have information to share that changes the underlying maths. Changes the variables. Changes the outcome.

If your intentions are indeed pure, and you want to protect developers as well as investors, then why would you not be interested in hearing new information that changes the outcome, so you can adjust your proposal accordingly? Do you not realise that refusing to listen to developers makes it sound like your intentions aren't actually as pure as you portray?

Please help me understand why you reacted the way you did.

Fillip

Crikey, if it is all so bad for you developers then why bother doing it...it is your choice to do it and no one elses so it really isn't that bad because if it was then you simply wouldn't be doing it. So why make the choice to do it and then continually complain about you making the choice whilst putting the blame on everyone and everything else like moving goal posts in xf developement...it's was your dhoice, no money in it...its your choice (there are thousands of jobs for developers earning $1,000 a day in many countries), if XF shuts down tomorrow you lose...it's your choice, people don't understand etc...its your choice. So come on guys stop the complaining when it has always only ever been your choice to do what you are doing and no one elses...sorry but I just don't listen to those that complain about a choice they continually make and don't do something better for themselves...as I said developers are making $150,000 to over $200,000 a year without the need to complain to everyone for choosing to do what they are doing...crikey, I've had enough of this thread and all I was trying to do was to help as many others as I could by proposing what may be a win win for many...see, thinking positive

For the same reason you fly planes; there is a passion for it, at least for those that don't do it solely for money (again, there really isn't that much money in it so there are very few that do).

You don't invest 10s of hours, or the hundreds of hours into the resources released here without some form of passion for it. I personally use to spend days, weeks or months designing new things to try out new concepts and new ways of doing things all because I wanted to see what was possible, much of it I'd either release as part of a style, include it in custom work (which definitely didn't pay for the time invested) or throw out the idea to others I was close to.

And I've never had a complaint about the time I put in, the effort put in, or anything related to what I did. The complaints I will always have here is this attitude that has permeated over the last 5 years or so, and which you are very much portraying. Without these "backyard" developers here, you would really have nothing more than a barebone forum with either a default design or some random color changes. You wouldn't have the hundreds of hours poured into a native ecommerce solution (@DragonByte Tech at least that's an estimate :p), the countless hours spent from concept to final fit and finish for a style (@ThemeHouse @Russ not to mention frameworks which I know are a pain in the ass to maintain).

So generally, when people come here and point out the flaws of the idea of how you want to do things development wise, it's a good idea to listen to the people who actually do this on a day to day basis. Maybe if this kind of attitude finally disappeared, we'd get back people like @Kim or @John or others who no longer provide resources here.

The only thing I've got out of this thread, is the feeling of 'meh'. On all sides.
Anyone else?
Guys, we all have our reasons. Let's just remember; this is the Internet.
Get out there, get some sunshine, get some air, get some real fkin friends and real life.
We all have valid points, in all of this. I believe in the fact that @ibaker is believing in what he is saying, but also believe in what you're saying too.
So chill, enjoy what we have and don't sweat about the little things.
Sheesh.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: RDR
Guys, we all have our reasons. Let's just remember; this is the Internet.
This is people's work, for some their primary source of income. It's not like you're conversing on reddit about something pointless or playing a video game. Most the people giving opinions on the topic have stronger opinions because these things are some of the main issues in their jobs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom