Long usernames

igrec

It's probably has been disguised before but I can't find anything related.

Say how do you deal with the long usernames (nicknames) on your forums? Something like

Karlsson-on-the-Roof for instance?

I'm sorry I had to be more specific. Long usernames are folded into lines in the showThreads (sorry don't know the template name on xf, yet) , that makes them unreadable, at list doesn't look nice. Max chars it can fit on one line is 12. The nicknames with 14 chars in it, look horrible. So I was wondering how to make it to look nicer in one line, probably by css or template edit.

I'm sorry I had to be more specific. Long usernames are folded into lines in the showThreads (sorry don't know the template name on xf, yet) , that makes them unreadable, at list doesn't look nice. Max chars it can fit on one line is 12. So I was wondering how to make it to look nicer in one line, probably by css or template edit.

What I did was set the character limit to 16 and lower the username font so it never breaks onto a new line.

Edit: Adding the following and adjusting accordingly in EXTRA.CSS will work with some tinkering

Code:
.messageUserBlock a.username { font-size: 12px;}

That would be a solution for a new forum, but I'm planning to convert an existing one.

You could extend the messageUserBlock width but it will also require the message content margin to be altered also which can be done through the style properties. This would allow more room for the longer username.

You could do. But I personally think it could get confusing for some but that is your call and it might very well work out good. All I know is I absolutely loathe usernames breaking onto new lines and nipped that issue in the bud right away. :P

you can do this via CSS and won't need to touch the templates.It can be done via style properties and extra.css with css only. Saves you having to revert templates.

I can't seem to find the thread/guide. Maybe Brogan and jump in here and link you to a thread showing how since i'm getting horrible luck search for specific threads lately.

Top Bottom