1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long usernames

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by igrec, May 13, 2013.

1. igrec

igrec Member

It's probably has been disguised before but I can't find anything related.

Say how do you deal with the long usernames (nicknames) on your forums? Something like

Karlsson-on-the-Roof for instance?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Set the maximum number of user name characters in the ACP

Shelley likes this.
  3. igrec

igrec Member

I'm sorry I had to be more specific. Long usernames are folded into lines in the showThreads (sorry don't know the template name on xf, yet) , that makes them unreadable, at list doesn't look nice. Max chars it can fit on one line is 12. The nicknames with 14 chars in it, look horrible. So I was wondering how to make it to look nicer in one line, probably by css or template edit.

4. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

What I did was set the character limit to 16 and lower the username font so it never breaks onto a new line.

Edit: Adding the following and adjusting accordingly in EXTRA.CSS will work with some tinkering

Code:
    .messageUserBlock a.username { font-size: 12px;} 

igrec likes this.
  5. igrec

igrec Member

That would be a solution for a new forum, but I'm planning to convert an existing one.

6. Shelley

You could extend the messageUserBlock width but it will also require the message content margin to be altered also which can be done through the style properties. This would allow more room for the longer username.

igrec likes this.
  7. igrec

igrec Member

I'm more leaning to put them under the topic itself, kinda polite way :) What do you think?

Attached Files:

8. Shelley

You could do. But I personally think it could get confusing for some but that is your call and it might very well work out good. All I know is I absolutely loathe usernames breaking onto new lines and nipped that issue in the bud right away. :p

9. Shelley

10. igrec

igrec Member

yeap, confusion is my concern as well. What is the name of template of userinfo on the left site with avatar in it? I have found the "post" one, tho.

11. Shelley

you can do this via CSS and won't need to touch the templates.It can be done via style properties and extra.css with css only. Saves you having to revert templates.

I can't seem to find the thread/guide. Maybe Brogan and jump in here and link you to a thread showing how since i'm getting horrible luck search for specific threads lately.

igrec likes this.
  12. Shelley

igrec likes this.