Lack of interest Long Names and the <wbr> Tag

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Jawsh

An issue I've noticed with my forum is long usernames breaking awkwardly. See this guy.

wbr.webp

I could offer him a name change, but that's pretty annoying. A lot of people seem to register with the suspicion that spaces are not allowed.

However, HTML5 introduces a new tag: <wbr>
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/wbr

This is a suggested break.

I think the username parser should insert <wbr> before every capital letter in a username, after the first one. This would mean the output HTML for the above guy's name would be:

<a hrf="#" class="username">Manic<wbr>Street<wbr>Preacher</a>

Under normal circumstances, it would continue to be one word with no breaks. In smaller elements, it'd break like this:

wbrafter.webp

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
The width of the user info box can be increased to accommodate longer usernames. Additionally, what if this user's username were Manicstreetpreacher?

The width of the user info box can be increased to accommodate longer usernames. Additionally, what if this user's username were Manicstreetpreacher?
I like the width as it is.

I can't help users that make no attempt at having their names be readable. If his name was "manicstreetpreacher" he would't really care if his name was broken because his name is hard to read to begin with.

Top Bottom