Local Installations

sounds interesting ... what you meant with 'synch'? maybe you meant that if you did a mod on local automatically this mod will be applied onto the live?
That's exactly what it does.
Whenever anyone updates a file, it gets saved with a higher version number and then everyone else can synch and download all the latest files.

I only use if for the local install though, not for the live site as all the coding is done locally and then the final files are uploaded to the live server.

Is the advantage of a local installation the ability to edit/move/copy files easier? Another reason?

I have found doing those things on our hosting account not as easy as on my local computer.

Is the advantage of a local installation the ability to edit/move/copy files easier? Another reason?
Well I just find it easier to work locally as I don't need to keep FTPing files to the server to check every small change, etc.
It also means I don't need to create a whole new test environment on the server as obviously you don't want to be working on the live site when making edits/changes, etc.

That's exactly what it does.
Whenever anyone updates a file, it gets saved with a higher version number and then everyone else can synch and download all the latest files.

I only use if for the local install though, not for the live site as all the coding is done locally and then the final files are uploaded to the live server.
wow it's a paradise ... :p

I also use Eclipse so I can synchronise the local install between myself and the main site coder.

Isn't that just the built-in Subversion support? On Windows TortoiseSVN would be another must have tool for Subversion support. I can't live without it :)

Besides that I'm running XAMPP as well.

I have found doing those things on our hosting account not as easy as on my local computer.

I think that is most peoples reasons, though these days I don't bother... I just mount my sftp directory in linux and drag/drop/edit files in that mnt... it is much better this way in my opinion as it is then on the same enviroment as the real site will be (though in a subdomain) and so it covers for any enviromental changes :)...

I think the increase in internet speed has helped also though 50MBs basically means that the files save in under a second to the remote PC so it doesn't feel like it is remote... :)

Mac OSX already comes with stuff pre-installed, but having Zend Studio really turns it into a developers environment.

Mac OSX already comes with stuff pre-installed, but having Zend Studio really turns it into a developers environment.
Good to know! That may be the catalyst to make me finally move to Mac. I've had one sitting here for 5 years for testing purposes only. I really want to develop on it, but haven't per my earlier post (#13) in this thread.

I always installed third party packages like WAMP though, giving me more control to switch between PHP 4,5,6 etc.
I am not sure if Snow Leopard for consumer comes with MySQLd, but the Server edition seems to have it.

Top Bottom