1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local Installations

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KURTZ, Aug 29, 2010.

1. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

guys, i use easyPHP what do you think about? suggestions? tips? alternatives?

edit: i use a 64bit OS maybe there is something better?

2. Green Cat

Green Cat Active Member

Use wamp instead ;).

3. CBI Web

CBI Web Well-Known Member

I download, install and set up everything individually and manually. I like it better that way; knowing exactly what's going on, and having total control over how everything is config'd. I'm sure easyPHP, wamp and others like it give total control in some way, but I'm a bit old school when it comes to developing. For instance, no Dreamweaver or the like for me. It's got to be hand coded or nothing.

cornishman and Brandon_R like this.
  4. ijeffers

ijeffers Active Member

I tend to upload everything to a subdomain on my host.

If I really need to do local testing, I'm rather sad and have a virtual Ubuntu LAMP box.

5. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

6. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

7. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

8. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

Have edit my post

9. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

10. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

11. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

I like your style. What do you use as an IDE. Please don't say notepad lol

12. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

@KURTZ
    ... and take this Editor with XAMPP. It's a perfect combination.

13. CBI Web

Yeah notepad is a little too plain for me. I like syntax highlighting, so I've been using an ancient editor called AceHTML. It has bells & whistles that I rarely use, but it has decent debugging, compiling etc. There are definitely some much better solutions out there, but I'm partly too lazy to learn a new one, and partly out of money to lay down for what I really want, lol.

My development server setup includes the latest Apache, PHP, Perl and MySQL on Windows. One of these days I plan to move it all to Mac, but that's yet another learning curve I'm too lazy to ride. :p

14. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Mike and I both use Zend Server CE. It runs XenForo spectacularly well and gives you PHP, MySQL, Apache, phpMyAdmin, APC, Zend Debugger and a whole bunch of other useful stuff in a single install, complete with a nice point-and-click administration interface afterwards. I can't recommend it highly enough.

15. CBI Web

hmmmmm.....
    • Bytecode accelerator (Optimizer+)
    • Zend Data Cache
    • A certified PHP distribution
    • Zend Framework
    • Apache (or IIS integration)
    • MySQL (on Windows and Mac OS X)
    • Out-of-the-box connectivity to all common databases
    • Java code connectivity
    • Web-based PHP administrator console
    And the price fits my budget. :D I do need to bring my environment into this decade.

16. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

dude, i've already many troubles with english ... :D i can't learn german now ... :p

interesting, i'll check it later ... just an info, are you using it over a 64bit OS?

17. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Yes, I'm running Mac OS X 10.6 in 64 bit mode.

18. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I use XAMPP on Win7 64 bit.

I also use Eclipse so I can synchronise the local install between myself and the main site coder.

19. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

OK superb, i'll try it onto W7 ... :) thanks.

20. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

german edition?

sounds interesting ... what you meant with 'synch'? maybe you meant that if you did a mod on local automatically this mod will be applied onto the live?