Local Installations

KURTZ

guys, i use easyPHP what do you think about? suggestions? tips? alternatives?

edit: i use a 64bit OS maybe there is something better?

I download, install and set up everything individually and manually. I like it better that way; knowing exactly what's going on, and having total control over how everything is config'd. I'm sure easyPHP, wamp and others like it give total control in some way, but I'm a bit old school when it comes to developing. For instance, no Dreamweaver or the like for me. It's got to be hand coded or nothing.

I tend to upload everything to a subdomain on my host.

If I really need to do local testing, I'm rather sad and have a virtual Ubuntu LAMP box.

I download, install and set up everything individually and manually. I like it better that way; knowing exactly what's going on, and having total control over how everything is config'd. I'm sure easyPHP, wamp and others like it give total control in some way, but I'm a bit old school when it comes to developing. For instance, no Dreamweaver or the like for me. It's got to be hand coded or nothing.
I like your style. What do you use as an IDE. Please don't say notepad lol

I like your style. What do you use as an IDE. Please don't say notepad lol
Yeah notepad is a little too plain for me. I like syntax highlighting, so I've been using an ancient editor called AceHTML. It has bells & whistles that I rarely use, but it has decent debugging, compiling etc. There are definitely some much better solutions out there, but I'm partly too lazy to learn a new one, and partly out of money to lay down for what I really want, lol.

My development server setup includes the latest Apache, PHP, Perl and MySQL on Windows. One of these days I plan to move it all to Mac, but that's yet another learning curve I'm too lazy to ride. :p

Mike and I both use Zend Server CE. It runs XenForo spectacularly well and gives you PHP, MySQL, Apache, phpMyAdmin, APC, Zend Debugger and a whole bunch of other useful stuff in a single install, complete with a nice point-and-click administration interface afterwards. I can't recommend it highly enough.
hmmmmm.....
  • Bytecode accelerator (Optimizer+)
  • Zend Data Cache
  • A certified PHP distribution
  • Zend Framework
  • Apache (or IIS integration)
  • MySQL (on Windows and Mac OS X)
  • Out-of-the-box connectivity to all common databases
  • Java code connectivity
  • Web-based PHP administrator console
And the price fits my budget. :D I do need to bring my environment into this decade.

@KURTZ
... and take this Editor with XAMPP. It's a perfect combination.

dude, i've already many troubles with english ... :D i can't learn german now ... :p

Mike and I both use Zend Server CE. It runs XenForo spectacularly well and gives you PHP, MySQL, Apache, phpMyAdmin, APC, Zend Debugger and a whole bunch of other useful stuff in a single install, complete with a nice point-and-click administration interface afterwards. I can't recommend it highly enough.

interesting, i'll check it later ... just an info, are you using it over a 64bit OS?

I use XAMPP on Win7 64 bit.

I also use Eclipse so I can synchronise the local install between myself and the main site coder.

Top Bottom