Browser issue Local Avatar Upload Does Not Apply without a Page Refresh

Amaury

I'm able to confirm the issue here on XenForo Community. And this is working as it should on KH-Flare, which is still on XenForo 1.5.5, so I'm guessing this bug cropped up somewhere between XenForo 1.5.6 and XenForo 1.5.9. It could be similar to that Gravatar bug I reported a long time ago, which has since been fixed, but I'm not sure.

There's also another issue that, after you attempt you upload a local avatar, the Okay button doesn't work, though the Cancel button still does.

Here are the steps to reproduce this:
  1. Open the Avatar Editor overlay
  2. Select Upload new custom avatar if it is not already selected
  3. Click on Choose File and choose an avatar of your choice
  4. Notice the current avatar does not change
  5. Okay button now does not work

If it's of use, I'm on Windows 10 using Chrome.

I have Adblock Plus, but same thing basically.

Hm. That's interesting. I would think if it were a browser issue, even KH-Flare would have the issue, which is why I thought it was something that happened somewhere between 1.5.6 and 1.5.9 as it also happens on another forum I'm a member of. To avoid restarting my browser, I logged in on Edge temporarily and was able to confirm it works as it should on there.

I don't remember this being an issue before, though. Then again, I've been using Gravatar avatars for so long on XenForo forums that the last time I uploaded an avatar locally was probably back when Firefox, which doesn't appear to have this "issue," was my default browser, and that was a long time ago. Chrome became my default browser when I got my new desktop back in mid-January of this year. (And back in May I switched from Firefox to Chrome on my laptop.)

I actually don't know how to white list sites, to be honest, so could it also be the fact that KH-Flare doesn't have any advertisements or does that make no difference in a case like this?

Hopefully there's a similar fix for Adblock Plus on the way

Would you happen to know if there is, Jeremy?

I'm not too sure. I know the bug was in the extension itself and not the lists, but I don't follow ABP very closely, sorry.

I do highly recommend uBlock Origin though. It's available for most browsers.

For what it's worth, I'd like to make a clarification to the bug report, because looking at it now, I can see how it could be mistaken to be that the avatar doesn't upload at all, which isn't the case. After choosing a file, the avatar upload does go through, you just don't see it, hence having to refresh the page, and then when you click the Okay button, nothing happens. The Close button still works, though.

A few of our members are experiencing this. No sign of the locally uploaded avatar after the process completes, but it does complete. Requires a page refresh.

@Chris D

Not sure if that's the culprit.

All extensions disabled.
Avatar Editor overlay appears, avatar gets chosen.
Ajax loader just runs indefinitely.
Okay button is clickable but doesn’t work.
Clicking the close button removes overlay, but the loader is still running.
Page refresh = avatar visible, loader gone and everything looks fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom