Linked Accounts - posting as other people

Damien Alexander

Hello,

I am coming from IPB to XenForo. I am going to be using 1.x for the time being. I am not 100% Familiar with XenForo addons. I wanted to know if there's an plugin similar to this? https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/7708-linked-accounts-post-as/

This in IPB lets me connect other accounts to my main account.

If I own account 1 and account 2 I can post from account 1 as account 2 without the need of logging in/out .
I have an RP site so people have alt accounts which are their characters and such. I know Themehouse has the Login as user add on but that's not what I'm looking for.

, if you wish to update to xf2 (which you should).
And exactly what is the compelling reason to update to 2.0 other than "it's newer"?
For many who have certain requirements provided by add-ons, 2.0 is a non-starter. You stated the very reason in your comment prior to the quoted portion.

And exactly what is the compelling reason to update to 2.0 other than "it's newer"?
There are multiple reasons, other than "it is newer".

1) It is said that in the near future the support for 1.x will drop. Of course I don't have a date and but I remember this being said from the officials.
2) 2.1 will be released in the near future, which will bring new features.
3) PHP 5.6.x will be the minimum for the new 2.1 one, which means better security I suppose.
4) The current 2.0 version is much better than the 1.5x versions, although it was said it only will match feature parity. The 2.0 version still got multiple enhancements, specially the navigation manager and the widgets are core features nobody wants to miss. Sure, you can replicate these ones with addons, but those can be buggy (specially the bd widget one).
5) I don't have any data to back this up, but since the XF2 got a new architecture, I suppose it is much more efficient than the previous one, which means less load for the servers.
6) More and more developers ditch the XF1 development and solely focus in developing for XF2, which means all newer stuff will be on that platform only.
7) This one is subjective, not a real point: The XF2 default design is much better than the XF1, which means you don't need a clunky 3rd party style anymore. You can use the default one (which means less problems with addons) by just tweaking it to your like. A good example is this.

Last edited:
#1 - Not currently a compelling reason as XF 1.5 will be supported for a period of time.
#2 - Not a compelling reason as no info is out what "extras" that 2.1 will bring, other than it is "newer"
#3 - Not a compelling reason as 1.5 series works fine with 5.6 & 7.X
#4 - A reason, but many would not agree "compelling"
#5 - Without statistical data to show a vast improvement, not a compelling reason
#6 - But until then, still not a compelling current reason

As I said in my post, XF 2.0 (and it's add-on environment - or lack thereof) means it is actually a LESS compelling reason to upgrade if one needs those add-ons.
I know of several that jumped on the "gotta run 2.0 now that it's out" bandwagon and are now regretting it due to the fact they lost functionality that was brought by the 1.X line of add-ons.

Top Bottom