XF 1.3 Link proxies significantly affects Skimlinks

Stuart Wright

Having run 1.3 since launch with link proxies on, I have some data on Skimlinks. The guys there have been in touch to ask we test the system by turning link proxies off.
They are saying that our Skimlinks revenue is significantly down and they are confident this relates to link proxies interfering with Skimlinks in certain browsers. By turning link proxies off for a while, we can confirm one way or the other.
The Skimlinks team are looking into the situation today to get some firm information.

Meanwhile other Skimlinks users should be aware that there is likely a problem using link proxies and Skimlinks together.

Had a message from Richard at Skimlinks who I don't think will mind me posting here:
We decided to leave it overnight so we could have more eyes on the clicks as things progress. We've just pushed the change this morning.

We'll keep an eye on things throughout the day and please don't hesitate to get in touch if anyone reports anything out of the ordinary.
I also asked whether we can switch on the XF link proxy feature and he suggested I ask @Mike about that.
We'll need an XF update for that, I guess?

We'll need an XF update for that, I guess?
The approach with the link proxy was changed to avoid issues with services like Skimlinks, so it should work now (as of 1.5.2). I presume people using Skimlinks would have had it disabled before, so if you can monitor your Skimlinks clicks regularly, I would recommend enabling the link proxy and keeping an eye on Skimlinks to confirm it's still reporting as expected.

The approach with the link proxy was changed to avoid issues with services like Skimlinks, so it should work now (as of 1.5.2). I presume people using Skimlinks would have had it disabled before, so if you can monitor your Skimlinks clicks regularly, I would recommend enabling the link proxy and keeping an eye on Skimlinks to confirm it's still reporting as expected.
Awesome. Feature enabled and will report back. Many thanks, Mike.

Good to read this (y)
I disabled skimlinks back in 2014 when I switched to ssl and enabled the linkproxy.
Just installed the add-on again and tested and now I pass the test. :cool: (y)
I will give it a try and see how it goes.

Realistically, this is related to a change from XenForo, not Skimlinks. It just led to our JS action taking priority over theirs.

Top Bottom