1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Limiting the number of Private Conversations?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Alex, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Alex

Alex Active Member

Does anyone know if there is a inbuilt way of limiting the number of Private Converstations a user can have? I guess I'm looking for something similar to how VB used to limit the number of PM's a user could store
  2. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

You can set per user group if they can start PC's or not, but not limit how many conversations they can be a part of. You can also set maximum recipients of a conversation, per user group.
  3. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

This got me thinking... would conventional quotas be appropriate for personal conversations? The threaded participatory nature of personal conversations is very different from private messages which function more like email.
    Peggy and Lawrence like this.
  4. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Yep I agree with this.
  5. Alex

Alex Active Member

Yeah I see what you mean, although without the ability to limit the number it could soon balloon your db size if you have a good few thousand members
    Vilandra and yoghurtfarmer like this.
  6. yoghurtfarmer

yoghurtfarmer Well-Known Member

Is there a way to prune or delete them at least?
  7. yoghurtfarmer

yoghurtfarmer Well-Known Member

Still think a way to limit PMs would be a good idea. A lot of the times forum owners offer increased inbox space for premium members.
    Vilandra and User like this.
  8. Vilandra

Vilandra Active Member

Agreed. Not everyone has unlimited server space...
  9. Vilandra

Vilandra Active Member

Sorry to double post, but one of my mods brought up a good point about this. It doesn't seem there's anything to stop a spammer from PCing every one of your members...
  10. kilcher

kilcher Active Member

I saw earlier someone had suggested a report spam feature for the personal conversations.
  11. Vilandra

Vilandra Active Member

But still...they could get a lot of spam out there before someone reports the spam and a staff member can ban them. Also, I didn't see the functionality to delete all someone's private conversations?
  12. Acid

Acid Active Member

Still no way to limit personal conversations?
  13. Phillip

Phillip Active Member

Yes, this is a much needed feature... Maybe admins could choose how many "posts" could be allowed in all private conversations. That way there could be a fair limit placed upon members. It is surprising this wasn't included by default or that an add-on hasn't surface yet.
  14. ragtek

ragtek Guest

Hm, so you prefer to split the conversation into more conversations, because somebody can't reply and have to start a new conversation
  15. Phillip

Phillip Active Member

Yeah that could be a consequence... Maybe limiting each member to x conversations is a better option. Or there could be a limit that after x days of inactivity, a conversation would be deleted. As long as the member was aware that was going to happen of course.
  16. ragtek

ragtek Guest

Any news if there are finally any limits for the conversations?
  17. Joe Link

Joe Link Well-Known Member

Following this thread, hoping for this functionality as well.
  18. taylor_smith

taylor_smith Well-Known Member

Also following in hopes.
  19. Syndol

Syndol Guest

This add-on has an Inbox size limit.
    taylor_smith likes this.
  20. taylor_smith

taylor_smith Well-Known Member