Lighthouse score

Oersted

What Lighthouse score are some of you getting for your sites running on 2.2 with 3rd party addons? We are getting a score of less than half that of what xenforo.com/community gets, so we are curious if our site is just terrible and something needs to be fixed, or if one should expect one's site to take a massive hit from 3rd party addons.

The Lighthouse report will explain in a fair bit of detail what you get marked down on.

Once you have your full report, I’d make a post in the Forum management forum as it might be interesting discussion other forum operators might want to weigh in on.

I just realized that I did those while logged in. If I log out, which turns some Google ads on, here are my results (again, desktop first):

desktop.webp

mobile.webp

100? How did you manage that?
You've got me...haha! I have a mostly stock XF site. I make very few changes to the style. All my add-ons are self-written with the exception of the Enhanced Search, Media Gallery, and App for Cloudflare®.

You've got me...haha! I have a mostly stock XF site. I make very few changes to the style. All my add-ons are self-written with the exception of the Enhanced Search, Media Gallery, and App for Cloudflare®.
Yeah, but the XF dev team is getting a score of around 87 (or 84) according to Kier's latest HYS video. So how are you doing so much better than them, who have zero 3rd party addons?

Is there a recommendation for how best to diagnose which our add-ons are hurting us the most? Should a developer look at it for us, or is there a recommended test that we can run ourselves on a test site where we test before and after disabling our different addons?

Yeah, but the XF dev team is getting a score of around 87 (or 84) according to Kier's latest HYS video. So how are you doing so much better than them, who have zero 3rd party addons?
Maybe it has something to do with where I am, or my cache, or something. I'm not sure, but I get a better score on XF than he did. Here's my desktop version when I run it on the XF forum home page. Seems pretty close to mine.

xf.png

Our HYS today was focusing only on the mobile tests which are a little more stringent. XF 2.2 scores similarly on mobile to @mjda - around the 80-90% mark.

OK, I see. Well the test we ran was for mobile only, and the score was abysmal. I didn't expect it to be anywhere near what you guys are getting, but it was in the mid 30s :oops:

Our HYS today was focusing only on the mobile tests which are a little more stringent. XF 2.2 scores similarly on mobile to @mjda - around the 80-90% mark.

Slightly unrelated, but any ideas why this site shows a check mark under PWA on the Lighthouse results and my site doesn't? I have the "Your board meets the requirements to be an installable progressive web app." message in my PWA settings.

Is there a recommendation for how best to diagnose which our add-ons are hurting us the most? Should a developer look at it for us, or is there a recommended test that we can run ourselves on a test site where we test before and after disabling our different addons?
You can re-run Lighthouse between changes. You can also run the test from the web (and share your results, if you wish): https://pagespeed.web.dev/

Though notably it will already give you a list of recommendations which should make it somewhat obvious what the culprits are and how they can be addressed. Beyond add-ons, things like ad and analytics services often weigh down pages, and you should make sure your web server sets an effective cache policy on static resources.

Slightly unrelated, but any ideas why this site shows a check mark under PWA on the Lighthouse results and my site doesn't? I have the "Your board meets the requirements to be an installable progressive web app." message in my PWA settings.
The check is displayed when a site is PWA-optimized, which imposes additional criteria beyond being installable. Lighthouse will explain what steps you need to take.

The check is displayed when a site is PWA-optimized, which imposes additional criteria beyond being installable. Lighthouse will explain what steps you need to take.

Ahh, it's because the "Meta theme color" used the header background color by default and on my site I don't use a background color there so it was just blank. Maybe it's probably best to show an error on that page, showing that the site isn't PWA-optimized, if the color selected is empty, if that's possible to check for. In any case, I've got the ol' check mark there now. Thank you!

So this is quite strange. It seems that the main thing hurting us was that on our homepage we have a custom feed which includes some posts with embedded YouTube videos. So I used another new posts feed instead and improved the desktop score to about 75, and mobile to high 30s. I then turned off our Siropu Ads Lite addon, and ran it on our forum index page, and got a 95 on desktop and a 45 on mobile. I am curious why the massive disparity. I did look at the Treemap, and for both desktop and mobile the largest contributors to performance slowdowns are the ad networks running on the site. I guess even though I disabled the ads themselves, the code for those ad networks is still in our header and active.

So I am wondering what could cause the desktop score to be twice as high. Perhaps ad network code is that much more detrimental to mobile.

I am also wondering if we need to make sure our homepage lands on a high performance page in order to appease Googles algorithm, or if that makes no difference.

1695802744751.webp

Thats our perfomance on mobil.

I am also wondering if we need to make sure our homepage lands on a high performance page in order to appease Googles algorithm, or if that makes no difference.
This only helps for the home page. But if all other pages perform poorly.

I then turned off our Siropu Ads Lite addon, and ran it on our forum index page, and got a 95 on desktop and a 45 on mobile. I am curious why the massive disparity. I did look at the Treemap, and for both desktop and mobile the largest contributors to performance slowdowns are the ad networks running on the site.
Any kind of advertising that comes with scripts from third parties we have banned.

So I am wondering what could cause the desktop score to be twice as high. Perhaps ad network code is that much more detrimental to mobile.
Yes it is measured on the mobile version of your site with 3g and an old model of Motorola. That's why it comes to the deviations.
If you improve your mobile view but also automatically increase the ranking for the desktop. Therefore you should focus only on the mobile version.

First look at all the graphics and optimize them. Install the addon from @Kirby
Look at the page and decide which things are really important for guests, Google and should be visible.
That's how I slowly worked my way up.

Looking at the replies above, as expected, I'm not sure how we would get much consistency if we are going to compare scores: Ads =on/off - home (portal) page vs forum lists vs forum vs thread.

Does a search forum perform worse than a regular discussion forum? Interesting results could be when you compare with and without certain addons or themes.

Top Bottom