Licensing: Development board, Selling license, Renewal

holder10

Hi,

before the storm begins tomorrow, I would like to use the calmness to ask three questions about the licensing system.

1) If I own one license and use it for a live forum, am I allowed to make some kind of 'internal development board', maybe for style development, as a playground or whatever. If there is some rule like that, what are the details?

2) Are we allowed to sell the licenses we buy during the early-adaptor-sale without restrictions?

3) So there will be some kind of renewal and reactivation fees. What exactly do you need to renew your license for? Do I need to do so in order to have access to the support forum (forum, not ticket support)? What about bug fixes or security patches?

Thanks a lot everyone, really looking forward to tomorrow!

Cheers,
holder10

1 - Yes you can use it for development purposes as long as it's not publicly accessible.
2 - You will be able to transfer license but there will be a time limit before you can do so which hasn't been stated yet.
3 - http://xenforo.com/community/threads/beta-release-date-and-pricing.3876/
1) Great, but I would like to know a few details then: Can I only maintain one development board, how many people / team members are allowed, etc.?
3) Sorry, but I can't really find an answer to my question there?

Thanks,
holder10

Kier said:
Support and Updates
A license comes with 12 months of updates and ticket support. 12-month update and support extensions will be purchasable for $40.

As an additional incentive to adopt early, licenses bought during the beta period will have 12 months of updates and support starting from the date when XenForo 1.0 is released as a stable and supported version.

1 license permits you to install it on 1 live site and 1 local installation for development purposes.

Point 3 will be clarified by Ashley soon.

Thanks, I know that part very well by now. :D

Still, I can't find answers to my questions there.
Do I need to do so in order to have access to the support forum (forum, not ticket support)? What about bug fixes or security patches?

Edit: Okay, thanks Brogan. :)

Can I easily transfer that license? Let's say I want to create a beta installation for my members at beta.mysite.com. If and when I migrate my vBulletin install to XF, then I would close beta.mysite.com and that particular XF installation would appear at mysite.com/forum

Just to clarify, I am allowing members to get their feet wet with XF in the beta section.

Can I easily transfer that license? Let's say I want to create a beta installation for my members at beta.mysite.com. If and when I migrate my vBulletin install to XF, then I would close beta.mysite.com and that particular XF installation would appear at mysite.com/forum.
Strictly speaking you're not transferring the license.
You will still own the license, you're just changing the URL it is used on.

So yes, that is possible.

3) So there will be some kind of renewal and reactivation fees. What exactly do you need to renew your license for? Do I need to do so in order to have access to the support forum (forum, not ticket support)? What about bug fixes or security patches?

Thanks a lot everyone, really looking forward to tomorrow!

Cheers,
holder10

Keep in mind that XenForo is continually evolving and new features and functionality are being added all the time. Purchasing your license provide you with the latest version and support for 12 months. Renewing your license means that you will extend this access for an additional 12 months. We expect to offer access to bug fixes and security patches for all third point release. So if your license is active at the time 1.1.0 is released you will have access to 1.1.x even if you license has expired. Access to support and customer privileged areas is dependent on the license being active.

Strictly speaking you're not transferring the license.
You will still own the license, you're just changing the URL it is used on.

So yes, that is possible.
Transferring your license relates to a change of the owner of the license. The license requires that it has the URL of where it is being used and that can be changed if the license becomes used at a different address.

Many of us are probably purchasing licenses for future use, in order to take advantage of the launch day offer. It's hard to predict the future, but lets say XenForo 2.0 is released next fall. Will my renewal price = the purchase price? Is the pricing model similar to vB 3.x or vB4? When vB releases vB5, I have to purchase an entirely new license.

Many of us are probably purchasing licenses for future use, in order to take advantage of the launch day offer. It's hard to predict the future, but lets say XenForo 2.0 is released next fall. Will my renewal price = the purchase price?

You will not need to purchase a new license to access future versions of XenForo.

Bear in mind that we want customers to renew the licenses consistently which will support the ongoing development of XenForo. We want a reasonable and sensible process that supports this. The word 'reactivation' is being used to demonstrate that it is different from a renewal when in reality it is a type of renewal.

The reactivation fee is unlikely to be more than 2 renewal fees.

Example: Regular renewals
Year 1 $100/$140 purchase
Year 2 $40 renewal month 12
Year 3 $40 renewal month 24
Total $180/$220

Putting this in reverse, at the end of 3 years, it should cost the same (more or less) for any customer who benefits from an update in a 3/4 year period.
Example:
Year 1 $100/$140 purchase
Year 2 $0
Year 3 $80 reactivation fee (payable from month 13)
Total $180/$220

We will confirm the details before the sale and keep in mind that these are examples for the purposes of illustration.

Many of us are probably purchasing licenses for future use, in order to take advantage of the launch day offer. It's hard to predict the future, but lets say XenForo 2.0 is released next fall. Will my renewal price = the purchase price? Is the pricing model similar to vB 3.x or vB4? When vB releases vB5, I have to purchase an entirely new license.
Nope. You purchase a license, and you can run the software forever. However, every 12 months, you'll need to pay in $40 for additional updates (although you can skip these, and pay a re-activation fee later).

Think of it this way (Example only):

XF 1.0 Gold is out, thus the 12 month counter begins. During this time, XF 1.1, 1.4, 1.7, and, WOW, even 2.0 is released! You get all these at no extra charge with your license. In month 13 after you purchase your license, XF 2.1 is released. To get XF 2.1, if you have not already done so, you need to renew your download access for $40, which will extend your download access for an additional 12 months. You can, however, still run the software, and I'm assuming download all versions for which you had download access for (was the way VB ran things under the old, pre-IB, team).

hmm I'm not too found of this structure. I was considering buying a 2nd license, but this sounds a bit harsh.
I don't agree with users having to pay yearly even if they don't want too. Technically that IS what is happening.

This had really discouraged me from buying my 2nd license. I was debating it, but I believe after this reactivation fee issue. I will not be getting a 2nd license.

Top Bottom