How does license renewal work?

Lumina

I am a student that wants to have a look at all sorts of software, but I am aware that xenforo is definitely the software to use for an online community. I do not own an online community, and I do not manage one, but I want to create one in the future. Since I'm just a student, it would be hard to afford xenforo. If I bought a copy now, and didn't renew it for a couple of years (therefore, losing access to updates and support), would I be able to renew it when I want to get updates again? Or would I have to buy another license.

Also, no, I'm not going to use phpBB or that stuff, I have tested over 15 free forum software's and they aren't very good

The initial license purchase is a one off payment, which includes 12 months of support and updates.

After 12 months, the license is still valid and you can continue to use the software with no additional charges, but should you wish to download new releases or access ticket support, you would need to purchase a 1 year extension.

Otherwise you can choose not to renew support and remain on the same version.

XF is not a hosted service, so you will also need to separately purchase a domain (URL) and hosting (server).

The initial license purchase is a one off payment, which includes 12 months of support and updates.

After 12 months, the license is still valid and you can continue to use the software with no additional charges, but should you wish to download new releases or access ticket support, you would need to purchase a 1 year extension.

XF is not a hosted service, so you will also need to separately purchase a domain (URL) and hosting.
Also a bit off topic, is there a "discount" for students like me? I'm sure you have been asked this question many times, but my debit card is running low :ROFLMAO:

XF is not a hosted service, so you will also need to separately purchase a domain (URL) and hosting (server).
Brogan, may I jump in on Lumina's thread? I belong to a Xenforo site and learned we need an "upgrade". We are planning to all chip in to do the upgrade. Could you give me a guesstimate how much $$ we should aim for? As well as point me to where I might find prices on domain & host? I'd be so appreciative.

The renewal cost for XF is based on which products are attached to the license.

Prices are here: https://xenforo.com/purchase/

Only the account holder can confirm which products have been purchased and hence the cost.

I can't assist with domain renewal and hosting.
Contact your existing providers.
Thanks Brogan, that price list is quite reasonable and would be no problem for our online community. I pm'd another in our particular community that I believe has some knowledge about the domain/hosting. I knew there were a few pieces to the puzzle but learned those terms from you previous post. Again, appreciated, one piece of the puzzle solved :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom