[Liam W] (RIP) Member Self Delete

[Liam W] (RIP) Member Self Delete 2.0.5 Patch Level 5

No permission to download
I think that members have the right to register to the forum as well as to delete their accounts. And it's nonsense to contact the admin every time for this.

This function should be the default Xenforo function in my opinion. I would like to thank @Ozzy47 for the addon until this feature comes default.

Doesn't matter, I don't think the user should have this level of control. Do you not comprehend? Don't you get snotty with me.
Have you actually used it?

You get so many options, you don't need to set it to actually delete users, you can just disable them.

At the same time you can wipe all profile details so the account is effectively "deleted", but can still be recovered if they change their mind in the future.

Once your forum gets busy you'll start receiving quite a few requests (which if you want to stay on the right side of gdpr you'll need to keep on top of) so this add-on is really helpful and will save you a lot of time!

Last edited:
@Max Taxable I'm sorry I snapped at you before. I thought you were attacking me, but reading again, I can see that wasn't the case.

To Max and @benFF

Yes, I get that it's functionality can be controlled with these admin options, but my only point, as I explained above, is that I think it's dangerous to give regular users that level of control over their own accounts as it can be abused and I don't think it's generally good practice. It's simply my opinion and wasn't intended to be a controversial comment. :) If you guys use this function and it's all working out for you, then I'm happy for you.

I don't think disappearing content or users is a good idea on a forum. For example, on mine, I don't even let users delete their own threads and post deletion (hidden really, not true delete) is set at a few days after which it can't be edited or deleted anymore. The post edit/deletion is actually more generous than the default 24 hours.

I get that it's functionality can be controlled with these admin options, but my only point, as I explained above, is that I think it's dangerous to give regular users that level of control over their own accounts as it can be abused and I don't think it's generally good practice. It's simply my opinion and wasn't intended to be a controversial comment
This is the same kind of stuff seen in "read PM" threads and such. The add-on threads aren't debate threads. We've offered a feature-rich product, we're not endorsing its use or promoting mandatory install, and truly there's no point in arguing the merits of the product. That's not what resource threads are for. Resource threads exist for support. You've registered your complaint, now please move on. Thank you.

This is the same kind of stuff seen in "read PM" threads and such. The add-on threads aren't debate threads. We've offered a feature-rich product, we're not endorsing its use or promoting mandatory install, and truly there's no point in arguing the merits of the product. That's not what resource threads are for. Resource threads exist for support. You've registered your complaint, now please move on. Thank you.
Ok noted, I won't make "debate" comments in resource threads for future reference. And yes, I had "moved on" as you say. That was the last thing I was going to say about it. Perhaps this post can be that now?

To correct the record, I wasn't complaining about it, just giving my opinion, as I said. That's quite an important difference as a complaint would imply that I want the function removed, which isn't what I was saying at all and isn't the case.

Self delete should be an admin only function?

Not to fire the flames, but this discussion confuses me. This isn't about an admin removing an account, this is about allowing end users who for whatever the reason no longer want an account on your forum (this happened to me in the past before this add-on...someone was erasing their 'internet footprint.") to delete their own account. If I am not mistaken, I think it even allows you to bar anyone from using the same username for a period of time.

ANYWAY.... it's not an admin function in the context the add-on was created. More importantly, if you believe only an admin should be able to remove a users account then make a place for them to request it, do it yourself and don't use the add-on.

??

Last edited:
Content still stays with a random name. So you don't lose any content.
I like it more if the content stays with the name/alias who wrote it, just not clickable anymore, profile gone and such things.
This is what now happens if you delete a user manually from the database, not randomize the username.
I didn't check if this is also possible with this addon, maybe it is.
However on a small forum I can understand that one would like to know who and how many are leaving, which is why I have this on my bookmarks but still not installed yet.

On the other hand, it's easy enough, we have it in our rules/policy, if a user wants to go, just send a mail and it will be done without any problem, as required by the GPDR. We only do not and will never anonymize posts (and have a legal disclaimer in the policy for this too, which is mandatory read/confirmed before confirming registration!).

I like it more if the content stays with the name/alias who wrote it, just not clickable anymore, profile gone and such things.
You can do that too, it's all configurable in the options.
However on a small forum I can understand that one would like to know who and how many are leaving
And this is possible too, it can create a thread for you in a specific forum alerting you.

If you then set a "cooling off period", you have a chance to contact them before it gets executed.

I have read about how to get rid of the error message about

src/addons/LiamW/AccountDelete/Service/AccountDelete.php:145

but it comes back again and again and again.

Maybe someone can repair this, please?

I have read about how to get rid of the error message about

src/addons/LiamW/AccountDelete/Service/AccountDelete.php:145

but it comes back again and again and again.

Maybe someone can repair this, please?
An addon update to fully address it for those who are affected would be nice, but the solution already provided should work. I get no errors from this addon now, and haven't for months, on a large forum. As per:
Yeah, go to the options page for the addon, change a setting, save, then change it back and save.
There's a new option or two in the most recent version which is not initially set, until you go to the addon's option page and update the options, forcing it to update and save them all. Otherwise, that unset option index causes problems like yours occasionally.

Done as usual ...
Problems as you describe them, i.e. settings can be reset due to a damaged database table, or an overloaded database connection. e.g. through "stalls". Maybe you should research in this directi.

Top Bottom