[Liam W] (RIP) Member Self Delete

[Liam W] (RIP) Member Self Delete 2.0.5 Patch Level 5

No permission to download
You have to be searching wrong somehow. Just search for “Deleted” it should be somewhere around sixth in the list that shows.

9C387F83-85C6-4B4C-B2C5-2CA2E54013C0.webp

Feature suggestion
When someone deletes their account, automatically put any posts they've done in the last x minutes in approvals.

To stop the people that dramatically announce their departure and aim shots at mods.

Anyone else think this would be useful?

Feature suggestion
When someone deletes their account, automatically put any posts they've done in the last x minutes in approvals.

To stop the people that dramatically announce their departure and aim shots at mods.

Anyone else think this would be useful?

For me is not the case, but is a good suggestion.

And I use a very nice feature from the add-on, but that after the process begins, the exclusion of the account only happen after 10 days and the user must not visit/login in the site.

If they do, the process is canceled and they have to wait another 10 days to begin again the process.

So, no good bye posts, trolls saying that my site is this or that.

Just for curiosity, my compliance dictates that I offer a variety of warnings informing the member that the content will not be removed after the process, and they must delete anything that they want.

We don’t have legal obligation, but as courtesy i anonimize the content after que exclusion (choosing a profile name to “Profile Deleted By Member".

I might be interested in this, although users did not ever asked me to delete their account.
If I now (without this mod) delete a user, he gets some random name automatically if I'm not mistaken.

So I got a couple of quetions.
1.) If I use this mod and only select the "delete" option and do -not- use the "randomize username" option. What will happen to the user's posts and username next to his/her posts? Will they just keep displaying their username, but then grayed out or something?

2.) Suppose a user has used this option by accident, or is angry, goes on holidays and forgets all about it or any other reason a user will think "darn I made a booboo... i rather be back as a member again". Is it possible to "undelete" the user in some way?
Like if he creates his account again and same passwords, can his old threads/posts be connected to his account again?
I've read something on the main forums about this, but not sure if this still can be done after a self deletion with this mod. Or only if I do or don't enable/disable certain options?

It is the same as how you would delete a user normally. Posts will remain with the username grayed out.
Once the user is deleted, there is no option to undelete or re-assign the user.
There is another option in this add-on. Instead of deleting the user, you can move the user to a special usergroup. You can revoke all access for this usergroup, but it is not the same as a real delete.

Last edited:
It is the same as how you would delete a user normally. Posts will remain with the username grayed out.
Once the user is deleted, there is no option to undelete or re-assign the user.
There is another option in this add-on. Instead of deleting the user, you can move the user to a special usergroup. You can revoke all access for this usergroup, but it is not the same a real delete.

We don’t have legal obligation, but as courtesy i anonimize the content after que exclusion (choosing a profile name to “Profile Deleted By Member".

Did my tip not worked for you?

Like if he creates his account again and same passwords, can his old threads/posts be connected to his account again?
I've read something on the main forums about this, but not sure if this still can be done after a self deletion with this mod. Or only if I do or don't enable/disable certain options?

This can be done via a database query. This will only join up the deleted member posts to the new member ID, not reactions, Conversations or other stuff.

Create new member and note their user ID (in this case 7615)

To connect Deleted member 6441's posts:

Code:
UPDATE `xf_post`
SET `user_id` = replace(user_id, '0', '7615')
WHERE username = 'Deleted member 6441'

@Ozzy47 it would be nice to add the following code for deleting various user details inside doDisable() function:
Code:
// Remove profile details
$profile = $this->user->Profile;
$profile->dob_day = 0;
$profile->dob_month = 0;
$profile->dob_year = 0;
$profile->signature = '';
$profile->website = '';
$profile->location = '';
$profile->about = '';
$profile->custom_fields = [];
$profile->save();

// Set Privacy to None
$privacy = $this->user->Privacy;
$privacy->allow_view_profile = 'none';
$privacy->allow_post_profile = 'none';
$privacy->allow_receive_news_feed = 'none';
$privacy->allow_send_personal_conversation = 'none';
$privacy->allow_view_identities = 'none';
$privacy->save();

// Remove avatar
/** @var \XF\Service\User\Avatar $avatarService */
$avatarService = $this->service('XF:User\Avatar', $this->user);
$avatarService->deleteAvatar();

// Remove banner
/** @var \XF\Service\User\ProfileBanner $bannerService */
$bannerService = $this->service('XF:User\ProfileBanner', $this->user);
$bannerService->deleteBanner();

// Remove albums
$albumRepo = \XF::repository('XFMG:Album');
$albumList = $albumRepo->findAlbumsForUser($this->user);
$albums = $albumList->fetch();
foreach ($albums AS $album)
{
    /** @var \XFMG\Service\Album\Deleter $deleter */
    $deleter = $this->service('XFMG:Album\Deleter', $album);
    $deleter->delete('soft');
}

Feature Suggestions
  • Username "randomization" is currently being done using a somewhat hardcoded pattern - phrase deleted_member followed by a space and the user id.

If multiple languages are being used, the resulting username will depend on the language - this IMHO isn't ideal, we'd like all deleted members to have the same username pattern.

I therefore suggest to add a new option that does allow to override this behaviour by entering a text does contain a placeholder for the user id.
  • Link in visitor menu
    It would be nice if this could be optional (style property or option), I don't think the option to delete the account needs to be that prominent

Last edited:
I’ll look into it when I get some free time.
I think you should create a paid pro version of this addon so you can get something back from your work.
If it posted a thread in a specified forum every time someone starts the deletion process, I would pay for it.
This other addon hasn't been updated for about 7 years https://xenforo.com/community/threads/wmtech-user-self-delete-pro-paid.91632/ and the author isn't responding, so this is the most likely candidate for people wanting self delete functionality.

Top Bottom