Less javascript?

borbole

Hello,

First let me congratulate on your work as the forums looks very nice. I have liked it what I have seen so far with the minor exception of javascript usage. It looks like it is used for almost everything. I hope you didn''t mind me saying that :)

Well since browsers are taking alot less time to load javascript and its easy to compress files to make sites load even faster I don't see such a big issue, if I'm right in saying that the forum will also work with javascript turned off. There is alot used but is it too much? I'm not sure as of yet.

xenForo makes excellent use of jQuery. I like all the touches. And as Rhydian said, all the major web browsers are optimizing the heck out of JavaScript.

Is anyone out there really running their browser with JavaScript totally disabled? I mean, it completely breaks the web. We're at the tail end of the transition from flat, static pages, to JavaScript powered pages (I hate to use the term Web 2.0 but it's applicable). In another 1-3 years, web browsing will be impossible without JS.

Hello,

First let me congratulate on your work as the forums looks very nice. I have liked it what I have seen so far with the minor exception of javascript usage. It looks like it is used for almost everything. I hope you didn''t mind me saying that :)

Nothing wrong with that as long as it's used intelligently, which it is here.

If you're worried about browsers that don't have JS, the forum works fine without it too. :)

I like the little spots of JS everywhere too. It really makes it feel more lively and interactive.

Offtopic: It's worth noting that even in IE the site looks great, the only thing missing being the rounded borders and the drop shadows.

Hello,

Certainly don't mind you saying it, but I'm struggling to find a reason why enhancing the browsing experience with Javascript (which is what we do, we do not rely upon it) is a bad thing?

Certainly don't mind you saying it, but I'm struggling to find a reason why enhancing the browsing experience with Javascript (which is what we do, we do not rely upon it) is a bad thing?

What I think borbole was getting worried about was reliance on JavaScript, but as you said, we don't rely on it, but use it to enhance experience.

It looks like it is used for almost everything.

Seems to me like he just feels that it's overused, when actually, it's implemented just right as to not draw too much attention to movement but enough to keep you awake when you don't have your coffee. o.o

I have liked it what I have seen so far with the minor exception of javascript usage. It looks like it is used for almost everything.

Welcome to the forums, borbole. :)

I'm curious, why do you think the extensive usage of Javascript would be an issue?
To my knowledge, every modern web application makes usage of JS at 75%+, into options/features. JS is so popular that Facebook decided to release their own FBJS, allowing developers to implement it easy into their applications. Plus, being client oriented, JS does not affect at all the server performance, letting your browser to do all hard work. :)

Even if I think like a developer, I enjoy all the cool things you can do with JS, at the expense of few KB of data cached by your browser. I only see advantages to it, honestly.

Certainly don't mind you saying it, but I'm struggling to find a reason whyenhancing the browsing experience with Javascript (which is what we do, we do not rely upon it) is a bad thing?

Oups, I just saw Kier's post. :)

It's not. As long as there is fallback for those (for core functionality) .. which xf does. So it's all good.

Javascript is used intelligently here. Not just thrown around. Not to mention the site is USABLE with javascript turned off and works on IE 6.

I did not mean to imply that js is a bad thing or anything like that. I meant that in my opinion was a little overused, that is all :)

Top Bottom