Laser eye surgery - miniblog.

Day 4 - Post op consultation (6th August 2014)
So today was the 1 day post op consult. A quick affair and efficient as you'd expect. Met with Mr Glenn Carp again and discussed a few things, he checked my eyes for the correction level and the healing, both were perfect!

Last night I had to send him a text (could of called but it wasn't that urgent) about something I was a little concerned about, and he replied quickly with the answer. Great.

My vision is "spotty" as expected, at some times the clarity and focus is so amazing I can't describe, better than with glasses for sure, however changing or uneven light often "unbalances" things and there's some mistyness or lack of focus, I was told this is normal and to expect it, as the eyes heal up over the next few weeks all this will go away.

Next up is the 1 month exam on 2nd September :)

I'm aware of that. I was asking whether it's surgically possible to drop that down to say 20/15 or 20/10.

Surprisingly my vision has stayed at or around 20/20 despite not taking care of my eyes all these years. Also somewhat light sensitive so I get around quite nicely in pitch darkness. Comes in handy.

I'm aware of that. I was asking whether it's surgically possible to drop that down to say 20/15 or 20/10.

Surprisingly my vision has stayed at or around 20/20 despite not taking care of my eyes all these years. Also somewhat light sensitive so I get around quite nicely in pitch darkness. Comes in handy.

In my post op consultation I was at 20/20 +12.5, so I can see at 32.5 feet what others need to be at 20 feet to see :)

Many who get LASIK end up with better than 20/20 vision but for ethical reasons you will be hard pressed to find a doctor willing to give you LASIK if your vision is already 20/20... rumor is some pro-athletes managed to get such things done, however.

Glad it's worked out for you Slavik!
Do they still "lance" off the front part of the eye for the laser? that part would creep me out big time lol

This is what put me off, having been keen then made the mistake of watching "How Do They Do That?" on Quest or Dave or some graveyard TV channel and seeing them slice open the front of the eye, laser it, then put the flap back! I just hate having my eyes prodded, I usually faint at the opticians, though it does get me a free cup of tea and some biscuits from the sympathetic nurses ;)

How are you getting on since the op?

Good days and bad ones, it very much depends on the light levels. As theres still swelling on the cornea and will be for 4 months, the light plays a big part in the vision.

On good days wheres its nice and bright the clarity and distance is staggering, I took a drive down one of my favorite bits of road yesterday, which as you come over the top of a long climb, you can see for miles into the distance, and stuff before that was "just about make it out" with glasses was so sharp.

On the flip side, the other day it was very overcast and quite dark, and for the whole day, struggled to focus, even inside with the lights on.

I also picked up some OO Red Irridium Polarised sunglasses for the really bright and sunny days, and they do help a lot as well, taking the glare off everything.

On good days wheres its nice and bright the clarity and distance is staggering, I took a drive down one of my favorite bits of road yesterday, which as you come over the top of a long climb, you can see for miles into the distance, and stuff before that was "just about make it out" with glasses was so sharp.

It's funny how each of reads / interprets a post with our own bias. I'm a cyclist and my first thought was how steep and how long, and did you enjoy the decent? :)

It's funny how each of reads / interprets a post with our own bias. I'm a cyclist and my first thought was how steep and how long, and did you enjoy the decent? :)

Lets just say, it was the quickest 5 miles i've probably ever done and the brakes were red hot after slowing down and pulling off the junction I was coming off at, to the point that having the car serviced 2 days ago after daily driving since, the mechanic actually commented that it was visible how hot they got :whistle:

Heh, reminds me of that scene from Star Trek Insurrection where the chief engineer's eyes regenerate and he can see for the first time
He goes on top of a hill to watch the sun rise.

Top Bottom