Laser eye surgery - miniblog.

Wait until you hit 40. My vision has always been farsighted and got a teency bit worse every couple years. After the last visit it had gotten better. I thought I was doing something right until the doc said "yeah, well, you're getting older and that's when you start to get nearsighted". I was a little depressed after that visit.

My Dad started wearing hard contacts in the 60s when they first came out. When he switched to gas permeable and then soft he went though about a dozen prescriptions because his eyeballs changed shape. When he got laser correction his package included repeat procedures if his vision changed enough within the first year. I believe he had to have one eye done again.

So it doesn't completely eliminate the need for glasses, ever. But for most people I know who have had it done, they don't need them except for reading when you get to be an old codger

That's nothing. Try a major surgery that involves putting a chip into your brain; a cochlear implant. Costs more than that. $120,000 and up. That's U.S. dollars, mind you.
Worked with a guy that had something similar done... but he had to keep his head shaved and the device that was attached to his skull externally always caused him a complex about his looks.

The think I dont understand... every few years my eyeglass prescription changes (I guess my eyes are getting worse?). How does this work with laser eye surgery? Do you have to get surgery every few years?
It changes because there is a certain strain on some elements of the eye (mainly due to muscle activity). Laster basically solves this for life. Some patients need to re-do there surgery (or part of it) after their first one. This falls in the "failure" rates of laster surgery and depends on the method your surgery is done (some are better than others).

Worked with a guy that had something similar done... but he had to keep his head shaved and the device that was attached to his skull externally always caused him a complex about his looks.
CochlCarlos.webp

Got it in April. Been adjusting to it for months now.

I've only heard one bad story personally and that was a guy who ended up with chronic dry eye, not sure how long that happened for or if it's still happening but it was a while - at least a year or so.

I know of one person that has this condition as a result of laser eye surgery. The rest of the people I know have no side effects.

How bad was your hearing before this?
I still have hearing aids on my left ear - the right ear (pictured), used to be the best ear of the two, but over the past 5 years the quality dwindled so bad, that last year my mom noticed that I couldn't hear her from behind my head anymore. I couldn't hear her like I used to. Now I can hear from my room to the living room, which I could never have heard. We're currently adjusting the brain to work with background sounds for the time being before we move into verbal sounds - I can hear it, just not 100% yet.

I also have cataract surgery done on my left eye, was mainly to fix eye movement, but at the same time the doctor put in, like a contact lens layer over the left eye. We considered laser surgery, but at the time it wasn't really established yet.

I still have hearing aids on my left ear - the right ear (pictured), used to be the best ear of the two, but over the past 5 years the quality dwindled so bad, that last year my mom noticed that I couldn't hear her from behind my head anymore. I couldn't hear her like I used to. Now I can hear from my room to the living room, which I could never have heard. We're currently adjusting the brain to work with background sounds for the time being before we move into verbal sounds - I can hear it, just not 100% yet.

I have low hearing in one ear and its been getting worse over the years. This reminds me that I need to schedule another audiology test. :(

I have low hearing in one ear and its been getting worse over the years. This reminds me that I need to schedule another audiology test. :(
Audiologists and Cochlear doctors encourage you to get cochlear implant earlier in life, than later. So, may want to consider if your hearing is bad enough, or not. When it does, jump in. 5 years ago I wouldn't even consider it, because I watched a show that showed a cochlear implant person with an entire metal cone on the back of the head, then like 6 months before the surgery, my mom was minding her own business watching TV, right? She had it on DVR, and showed me the latest version of the cochlear implant technology. I said "Okay, THAT looks better than I expected!" We dropped in on a doctor who told us - get it. The rest is history.

I don't even fool with that any more... I already know I have major hearing loss in both ears (to many years qualifying and practicing with pistols without hearing protection when I was young & dumb and a LOT of hunting and target practice - same on the target practice). Nothing that a hearing aid can solve.

I think those are free in the UK under the NHS.
Sadly its only free (or discounted) for special cases. It's the same with free eye tests, you only get a free NHS eye test if you're disabled, under 18, elderly, etc.

I can see why though. Even if it 'only' cost £500, you'd have over half the population wanting it. Given the NHS is already broke, spending more on a 'luxury' treatment isn't something they'll do anytime soon.

Glad it's worked out for you Slavik!
Do they still "lance" off the front part of the eye for the laser? that part would creep me out big time lol

@Slavik if you are reading then then you are good to go! :)
J/K!

I hope all is well! I have been considering Lasik for a while, but after seeing my doc they said I was not eligible for it. He instead recommended Visian ILC, which is safer than Lasik and it's reversible if I ever needed them taken out. Unfortunately the cost is killer, much higher than Lasik...for now I am just going to stick with my contacts & glasses.

Top Bottom