Kier and the Travails of Spacebattles.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaPaladin

I have been a long-time member of Spacebattles.com, one of the original converts from Vbulletin and in the top 15 sites using Xenforo - not surprising, as Kier is the forum owner. Most of the members are impressed with the features offered in Xenforo, and all seemed well until several months ago.

The forums at Spacebattles began to be plagued with incredible lag, and despite the best efforts of the admins and moderators, it has only increased. Opening a thread feels like you are on a 56k modem, and is often not possible at all during North American prime time hours. The only time I can post or read the forums with some reliability is during the early morning (Central Time). Normally, in a situation like this, you turn to the forum owner and discuss methods for reducing lag, look into more powerful hosting solutions, or other options.

However, Kier has been all but unreachable, even to the admins who have his personal contact details. I understand that being the chief developer of a highly successful software package leaves little in the way of free time, and I know he's had other concerns on top of that. I remember the forum cheering when Kier and Xenforo managed to put the whole Vbulletin business behind them. I'm just wanting to see one of the flagship forums of Xenforo restore to functionality, and I am aware that these things are not usually free.

I'm wondering if purchasing a Xenforo license or support services would help bring Kier back or to arrange for the actual operation of the site to be transferred to one of the admins, like Reaperman. If there is a better option for doing this, I'm open to suggestions. I'd greatly prefer to get SB running again rather than try and start my own forum. I'm not a mod or admin, just a guy who wants to be able to use the forum I've been on for more than a decade.

Buying a license will provide you nothing more than access to the support forums. What Kier does with his own forums cannot be changed by us.

He owns the domain name it appears. So he might be of help at fixing any server issues that exist.

I mean why doesn't someone just offer to buy it from @Kier?

No one at Spacebattles forums has been able to get in contact with him. I've heard various stories about it, some saying he named a ridiculous sum for selling the forum, others saying that not even people with his skype number can get in touch with him. I'm not sure where the hardware storing the forum software and database is located - it might even be a private server run by Kier.

That's why I came here. I figured that I might get a better response.

No one at Spacebattles forums has been able to get in contact with him. I've heard various stories about it, some saying he named a ridiculous sum for selling the forum, others saying that not even people with his skype number can get in touch with him. I'm not sure where the hardware storing the forum software and database is located - it might even be a private server run by Kier.

That's why I came here. I figured that I might get a better response.

Here is where the IP is located: http://whois.domaintools.com/199.167.147.102

This has nothing to do with XenForo.com and it is not the first time we have had threads similar to this created.

Please contact whoever is responsible for the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom