Keeping customers updated - unlike now...

Gladius

So are there any plans to keep customers updated as to what's being announced here? Because unless I'm missing something, there's no way to subscribe to the announcements forum to get notified of updates and nothing gets sent out via e-mail either...

So, basically, those who aren't regularly checking the forums here are kept in the dark and miss announcements of sales (like the one last week).

The next one coming up soon that's going to last exactly 24 hours - gee, I wonder how many people will miss out on that unless they get notified about it say a day in advance.

So how about sending out mailings to customers when new announcements are posted?

Updates have been going out via Twitter and Facebook. Software releases are sent out via email.

You can also subscribe to the announcements forum RSS feed.

Well, I understand that you are talking about newsletter style email. How about subscribing the RSS feed of Announcement forum?

I don't use RSS for stuff like this, nor do I use Facebook much and Twitter even less.

I'd like to get announcements the old-fashioned way, via e-mail, like for every other product I use...

IS THERE A COMPLAINT ABOUT EVERYTHING?

They could have released it for $60 and kept on going. However, instead they posted well in advance there would be a sale for one day. Are you wanting Kier, Mike, Ashley, Brogan, Jake, Slavik, Lawrence or Dean to walk to your door, knock on it and remind you to log in to xF on the day of the sale. FFS.

what the guys (KAM) are doing with announcements is their own decision, however........

I find it odd to have to use RSS (I tried it once and it did not work, so I do not want to bother with RSS) to get updated on stuff :confused:

And I am very sure that the members of my own Forum have never heard of a thing named "RSS" in their whole life. They might think "RSS" is some kind of disease. :eek:

Please keep in mind that not every internet-user is a coder or internet-savvy. :cool:

It should be possible to subscribe to Forums and get an E-mail-notification automagically. There needs to be more "interactive" stuff like this build into XF (like e.g. Email-notification on profile-posts).

An email is typically sent a day or two after an announcement is posted.

I'm relatively sure I didn't get one about the lawsuit being over; at least the search of my mail folder is coming up blank. Was one sent out about that?

Reactions: HWS
I'm relatively sure I didn't get one about the lawsuit being over; at least the search of my mail folder is coming up blank. Was one sent out about that?
Fairly sure there was, or there was one sent out recently.

I'd check your spam folder.

I checked everything, but I could have deleted it since I saw the announcement on the forums already anyway.

Edit: guess there was none after all.

Can sOmeone explain the policy decision on not enabling notifications on Announcements?
It has always seemed very strange to me.
RSS is outside my experience, and I don't bother with FB or Twit - far too busy for that kind of thing.

Not getting a notification the lawsuit is over, or other important news like that does not seem good for XF.
A notification on Announcements needs to go to all members, surely that's what anh Announcement means - important news for all of us.

It shouldn't depend on an ordinary member posting a thread about it and then visiting to pick up on it in Whats New.

But XF tends to have good reasons for how they do things so why is it done this way?

IS THERE A COMPLAINT ABOUT EVERYTHING?

They could have released it for $60 and kept on going. However, instead they posted well in advance there would be a sale for one day. Are you wanting Kier, Mike, Ashley, Brogan, Jake, Slavik, Lawrence or Dean to walk to your door, knock on it and remind you to log in to xF on the day of the sale. FFS.

^ This

I take the point, though for the most part we have only done announcements for releases in the past. However, what Paul says is right: the forum is always announced first. Emails usually go out a day or two later. I suspect there will be one going out today.

Can sOmeone explain the policy decision on not enabling notifications on Announcements?
There's no policy. XF just doesn't have that feature. It's already been suggested.

Yeah I was trying to subscribe to the forum so I could get notified by email however it turns out it is not yet a feature. Hopefully will get added.

Top Bottom