Keeping customers updated - unlike now...

Then on the other hand ppl will complain about getting too many emails, or emails they claim they never opted in for. Seen that over at the 'other' site recently.

Then on the other hand ppl will complain about getting too many emails, or emails they claim they never opted in for. Seen that over at the 'other' site recently.

People have the option to Opt in or out of the emails at any time:

WTZiCai.png

I know, but some ppl still complain... even if it is the chair-keyboard interface not functioning within established parameters.

Gladius is making a valid point - if you don't visit XF then you simply don't know about it unless the team send out an email to all customers. It's a shortcoming that would be useful to address - so that more customers are better informed and can enjoy the same benefits and sales/discounts as regular XF.com forumites. :D

Mike has advised that "watching" a forum (and getting email notifications of new threads) isn't a feature (yet) - but I'm sure it'll be on his to-do list at some point and will be a welcome addition when it does.

Please though Mike, when you do add the feature can you make sure the default is to email only about new threads, rather than posts - we don't want to spam our membership to death. ;)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

I take the point, though for the most part we have only done announcements for releases in the past. However, what Paul says is right: the forum is always announced first. Emails usually go out a day or two later. I suspect there will be one going out today.

There's no policy. XF just doesn't have that feature. It's already been suggested.

Thank you for your prompt reply Mike. I do hope you will add notifications to Announcements soon.

Clickfinity is right - we need forum watch. For bigger busier boards it needs to be first posts, but for babies like mine all posts work very well - I had it done this way and it's great for pulling people back.
So Mike - admin option forum watch please per forum. Watch OP or Watch All.

Emails usually go out a day or two later. I suspect there will be one going out today.

How do you opt-in to these emails? It wasn't made clear that by registering for a forum account that you'll get on the list (unless I missed it?). Equally, how to you opt-out if you wanted?

Ah-ha... but as someone interested in buying XF I want to track its development to decide whether to buy it.

So I can't access that page guys :/

Ah-ha... but as someone interested in buying XF I want to track its development to decide whether to buy it.

So I can't access that page guys :/

Well there's no "newsletter", so you can follow the twitter or the RSS feed on the announcement section

I guess a newsletter wouldn't be the worse suggestion, a good sales tool for those sitting on the fence - it might be that they 'buy' once a certain feature they've been waiting for is developed.

Or better still, allow users to be notified of when a new topic is posted in a 'watched' forum - but I appreciate this is already on the "possible to do" list :)

I have just spoken to Mike about non-customers getting email updates.

I can't say for sure anything will be done but at least he is aware of the issue.

Or better still, allow users to be notified of when a new topic is posted in a 'watched' forum - but I appreciate this is already on the "possible to do" list :)

Very much on the wanted list.
Me I hate newsletters 95% of the content is irrelevant and timewasting. But selected by forum YES!

Plus I find it useful to have just a few forums that make announcements to "their" usergroups, no opt outs. But that is for small team project workers.

Cheers for that Brogan, very helpful. I'd be happy for him/you to take my email from my forum ID and add it to any list if you make one :)

Well you can do it now, though it's just a little unintuitive (as it wasn't designed for this). Go to the purchase page, add a license to your cart and start your checkout. You'll be prompted to create an account so do this, then just abandon the cart - you should be able to login to the customer area (though you won't have any licenses) and you should be on the mailing list if you had that box checked.

Top Bottom