Joomla 1.6

Yes, but using 1.6.1...only complaint is the lack of themes/extensions compared to 1.5 but many of the newer 1.5 extensions work with 1.6 anyway.

I did a brand new install starting with 1.6, I ended up reverting it to the last version of 1.5, as 1.6 & 1.6.1 still has significant issues, and then to make it worse, they are already saying 1.7 will be out within six months... so this is just a kick in the nuts IMHO for all Joomla users, especially developers, having to now try and keep up with constant architecture changes for their mods. It will kill the modding community IMHO.

I did a brand new install starting with 1.6, I ended up reverting it to the last version of 1.5, as 1.6 & 1.6.1 still has significant issues, and then to make it worse, they are already saying 1.7 will be out within six months... so this is just a kick in the nuts IMHO for all Joomla users, especially developers, having to now try and keep up with constant architecture changes for their mods. It will kill the modding community IMHO.

The problem is these changes that makes the previous code useless. I migrated some of my websites from joomla to wordpress for that reason. Wordpress becomes more CMS friendly with every release and it's very easy with plugins to extend & add features. The beauty is that it's easy to upgrade, from themes to plugins. I began with joomla and vBulletin as forum software. Now, wordpress as CMS and xenforo as forum solution.

I really wish they had held off 1.5 until they could make it forwards compatible for 1.6. Just to have the groundwork laid. Now, all of the plugins and themes that were rewritten for 1.5 must again be rewritten for 1.6. Then again 1.6 should really have been 2.0, as it's a big enough change to warrant the bump.

The admin panel underwent major changes. They finally got rid of Section->Category->Item and now allow hierarchical organization of your content. They decoupled menus from the old stilted architecture. But the big change was full usergroup permissions. Up until Joomla 1.6, you could not restrict certain plugins, certain pages, sections, categories, etc. to certain users. Either you were an Author, Editor, or Administrator for the entire site. We had to depend on fly-by-night outfits like JACLPlus to grant access to edit certain pages or categories to certain users.

The addition of ACL/Usergroups to Joomla 1.6 finally makes it viable for multi-user setups. It's really amazing how much ground Joomla gained considering it had such poor usergroup management. Joomla needed all these changes, but unsurprisingly, it's taking mod and theme developers off-guard. Styling Joomla is a breeze, but programming for it is still quite tricky.

hewhe
It's not a claim, it's a fact. I am running it on two sites. WLSurgery Help and Secret City Designs
hehe a claim isn't an unproven fact or alleged fact, it is merely an assertion of a fact.

Anyway, by using 1.6 and this bridge...have you noticed any bugs or problems? I'd like to use 1.6 but am concerned about having to always explain to users that there are issues and "eventually", they will be resolved.

*edit*

I did find errors though. On your first site, when I tried to register, recall a login or pw (anything using the front script) via Joomla on the front page, I got a 500 error message: http://www.wlsurgeryhelp.com/en/component/jfusion/

On your 2nd site, when trying to register via the front page, I got this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method JDatabaseMySQLi::Execute() in /home/etramsey/secretcitydesigns.com/administrator/components/com_jfusion/models/model.jfusion.php on line 1076

So...it would appear that while you may indeed have them installed, there are plenty of bugs with 1.6 and this bridge.

hewhe

hehe a claim isn't an unproven fact or alleged fact, it is merely an assertion of a fact.

Anyway, by using 1.6 and this bridge...have you noticed any bugs or problems? I'd like to use 1.6 but am concerned about having to always explain to users that there are issues and "eventually", they will be resolved.

*edit*

I did find errors though. On your first site, when I tried to register, recall a login or pw (anything using the front script) via Joomla on the front page, I got a 500 error message: http://www.wlsurgeryhelp.com/en/component/jfusion/

Fatal error: Call to undefined method JDatabaseMySQLi::Execute() in /home/etramsey/secretcitydesigns.com/administrator/components/com_jfusion/models/model.jfusion.php on line 1076

So...it would appear that while you may indeed have them installed, there are plenty of bugs with 1.6 and this bridge.
Well, then it's obvious we need to report said bugs. LOL

Liz

hewhe

*edit*

One thing you should consider here is that those sites are not yet complete but intended as working examples. Both sites are setup to use XenForo as the master software. In JFusion, the master software is used to register on the site. Joomla is set as a slave and has registration disabled.

What is actually needed on these sites is for the registration links to be updated so that you go through the XenForo registration process when you try to register via Joomla.

Indeed. But it would also seem obvious that this bridge isn't yet compatible with 1.6 and we should use 1.5 until it's been updated.

See my comment above, but as posted in the other topic on this bridge, there is no release of JFusion that is compatible with Joomla 1.6, only a version that I hacked to make it work as we needed installed on Liz's sites.

OK, so by editing the registration area in Joomla 1.6 so that it takes you to the XF registration instead, the hacked bridge will work (on 1.6)? Sorry if I'm asking what should be obvious, still new to the bridge thing.

And if that is the case...how do you edit the reg links in Joomla to have its registration forward to XF? Is it hardcoded?

Top Bottom