Jon W's Premium Upgrades are Confusing

Are Jon W's premium pricing confusing?

• Yes, i have suffered a mind crash.

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • No, it all makes sense if you try really hard.

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters
No offense anybody, but as a customer I hate all that options.. subscriptions based in the size of my board/copyrights, etc.:sick:
God Bless all developers that don't use copyrights and abusive/dangerous callbacks.
My best wishes for all of them.
This new model of business make me sick :coffee:

I take a look at user search on one of my boards and see - from 15.100 reg members i will have only 3.400 "active members" (logged in in last 365 days).

Now i see what i must pay for max 5 add-ons: 60 Pound / year or around 80 Euro

The mistake i see:
- what when i never more be willing to update? Will be Premium features deactivated than?
- no Option for less payment by longtime customers, first time users and all other pay the same price.

I quest me the same as users above - why to hell not a simply way like the most other developers and also xenforo, why so complicatet and price intensiv? :(

I take a look at user search on one of my boards and see - from 15.100 reg members i will have only 3.400 "active members" (logged in in last 365 days).

Now i see what i must pay for max 5 add-ons: 60 Pound / year or around 80 Euro
Correct.

- what when i never more be willing to update? Will be Premium features deactivated than?
Yes, but then you can reactivate them again at any point.

- no Option for less payment by longtime customers, first time users and all other pay the same price.
If prices go up in future for first time users (which is likely if quality of add-ons and number of premium features increase, and inflation of course) then the original price will be locked in for existing customers so then it will be cheaper.

I quest me the same as users above - why to hell not a simply way like the most other developers and also xenforo, why so complicatet and price intensiv?

He decided to go from a (more familiar) one-time license fee (with an optional maintenance fee) to a subscription model, where you need to pay regularly for using the software.

This is indeed an interesting model, very attractive for developers because you know what you'll earn next month.

However the current prices seems much to high. One year usage of an add-on should be calculated a little bit less compared to the cost of a one-time fee license model of a similar add-on. At least this would be a recommended calculation of a business professional.

But, of course, Jon is free to charge what he wants. It is his business only.

what when i never more be willing to update? Will be Premium features deactivated than?

Yes, but then you can reactivate them again at any point.

I'm not exactly clear on what these Premium features are, how they affect the functionality of the add on and how they get deactivated if not updated.
What exactly are these Premium features we are paying this high price (that others call it) for??

I'm not exactly clear on what these Premium features are, how they affect the functionality of the add on and how they get deactivated if not updated.
What exactly are these Premium features we are paying this high price (that others call it) for??
There aren't that many at the moment. For most add-ons, we ask for contributions from members and then release the feature to everyone. More recently we have adopted a policy of adding features even if no contribution is made, where we feel a feature is quite key but no-one has been willing to contribute.

An example of this is the delete feature in our Tabs by Waindigo add-on:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/tabs-by-waindigo.2528/

This add-on has had no less than 5 contributors to various features but we were unable to find anyone else who was willing to contribute to what I'm sure you can imagine is quite a key feature. The cost of this feature can now be spread out across multiple members through the cost of the subscriptions.

what I'm sure you can imagine is quite a key feature.
Using the example you linked to I would agree that removing something created by the add on is "key" as you say but more a "Key" function rather than a "Key" feature. So using this add on I can create all the tabs I want for free but if I make a mistake or find that tab isn't useful I would have to pay to remove it?

Reactions: HWS
Using the example you linked to I would agree that removing something created by the add on is "key" as you say but more a "Key" function rather than a "Key" feature. So using this add on I can create all the tabs I want for free but if I make a mistake or find that tab isn't useful I would have to pay to remove it?
Yes, exactly.

Perhaps the new pricing scheme is actually a clever ploy to weed out any potential customers who might be a problem. To wit, if they can figure out the pricing model and correctly choose the plan that applies to them then it is less likely that they'll need help with support for any of the actual products. :cautious:

:LOL:

Jon, with all respect: You charged 5 people for developing that add-on and - just because they all forgot to tell you exactly that a "delete" button is also needed - you gave them an quite unusable add-on as the finished product?

I don't think this advertises your business in a positive way...
I actually created the add-on for myself initially without a delete function. Those 5 people paid for additional content types to be added. Do bear in mind that this add-on replicates the core Resource Manager functionality of a discussion being added to a resource, for which there is no delete function either.

Edit: those 5 people all now get the delete function for free as well.

Reactions: HWS
No it doesn't. It means both of them!
Wrong.

Biannual - occurring twice a year
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/biannual

Biennial - taking place every two years
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/biennial

Note from the bottom of the second link:

Biennial and biannual are often confused. Biennial means ‘occurring every two years’ ( the biennial Ryder Cup tournament), while biannual means ‘twice a year’ ( the solstice is a biannual event). See also bi- (usage).

Top Bottom