1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jaxel's Sub Forum Grid Listings...

A refining of my popular sub forum grids!

1. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

Jaxel submitted a new resource:

Jaxel's Sub Forum Grid Listings... - A refining of my popular sub forum grids!

Read more about this resource...

The Forum Heroes and Brentnauer like this.
  2. Brentnauer

Brentnauer Well-Known Member

Awesome, this is going to help me a lot

3. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

People will love this, well done.

Bit confused about the implementation, however.

It would save people a lot of work if you released these templates and modifications and exported them as an installable add-on.

Should you ever need to, it would be a lot easier then for those people who need this if they could just upgrade an add-on.

Just my opinion, but as a guide, you might as well have just told people to do manual template edits, as the TM system is more of a tool for add-on developers.

4. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, all of these edits are part of my "EWRcustom" addon... which comprises ALL of my custom changes to XenForo... and there are A LOT.

5. Live Free

Live Free Active Member

Hi,

For node_forum_level_2 you say find: "#$#". What exactly am I supposed to be finding/replacing?

Thanks

6. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It find the end of the string (ie, end of the template). You can ignore that and just do the "replace" in direct template edits (its suggested).

7. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

upload_2013-8-7_16-7-1.png

Looks great. Excellent work.

8. masterchief

masterchief Well-Known Member

specifically, what template should I perform direct edit using Jaxel's example sub forum grid changes

9. Jeremy

The two templates are listed in red on the main page.

10. masterchief

thank for responding

those are the suggested template modification... (they also do not identify any template to edit) you stated that recommendation was to perform direct template edit. I wanted to know what template needs to be edited in order to get sub forum grid

found them

11. Jeremy

As I said above, the templates you need to edit are posted in red. Template modifications need to be told which templates to edit. The first one is to be placed at the end of the template and the second is a find and replace.

12. masterchief

I got it... took me a while to digest what was happening. sub forum grids are pretty cool, and they take a lot of work to set up properly.

13. masterchief

Please provide example how this could be used with various node types.

14. Live Free

Live Free Active Member

Ah, okay. So it just adds it to the end of the template then?

I went ahead and made the edits. Double checked them but I'm showing subforums listed twice:

http://i.imgur.com/quSBp9u.png

Do I need to edit out something in node_forum_level_2?

15. Jeremy

It may be a find and replace to remove the old code. I don't use this template modification myself.

16. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

The second listing is my subforum grids... The first listings is the built in XenForo listing; which you should disable.

17. masterchief

how would you disable builtin XenForo listing?

18. Live Free

Live Free Active Member

Anyone know how to disable/hide subforum childs for particular forums? I want to show one level of subforums for particular forums, but not their children.

19. Live Free

Live Free Active Member

Figured this out, just edit out the following code in node_forum_level_2:

Code:
    <xen:if is="{$renderedChildren} AND {$level} == 2 AND @nodeListSubForumPopup">
                        <div class="Popup subForumsPopup">
                            <a href="{xen:link forums, $forum}" rel="Menu" class="cloaked" data-closemenu="true"><span class="dt">{xen:phrase sub_forums}:</span> {xen:number $forum.childCount}</a>

<div class="Menu JsOnly subForumsMenu">
                                <div class="primaryContent menuHeader">
                                    <h3>{$forum.title}</h3>
                                    <div class="muted">{xen:phrase sub_forums}</div>
                                </div>
                                <ol class="secondaryContent blockLinksList">
                                <xen:foreach loop="$renderedChildren" value="$child">
                                    {xen:raw $child}
                                </xen:foreach>
                                </ol>
                            </div>
                        </div>
                    </xen:if>

Also that's assuming you have checked "Show sub-forums popup" in Style Propertys > Forum / Node List

20. Myke623

Myke623 Active Member

Under Style Properties > Forum / Node List, ensure that Show sub-forums popup is checked. As the description says, unchecking this option will list all sub-forums below the parent forum.