Not planned JavaScript Modification

AndyB

Often we need to modify the core Javascript files to achieve the functionality we want. Of course at upgrade time this requires redoing the modifications manually.

It would be great to see a Javascript Modification function similar to Template Modification. That way we could create add-ons for the core Javascript changes.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Could you give an example of when you needed to modify javascript files?

I have hardly had to do that, I write my own javascript files and that is enough. Only exception might be the redactor icons, and I am sure that can be worked around :)

Could you give an example of when you needed to modify javascript files?

I modify three of the core Javascript files for the following reasons:

1) Remove some Redactor icons
2) Remove some HTML tags when text is pasted into the editor
3) Remove overlay trigger when username is clicked

Allowing any form to write to files that arbitrarily get run by your server or a client computer is a very, very bad idea for security reasons.

Allowing any form to write to files that arbitrarily get run by your server or a client computer is a very, very bad idea for security reasons.

We can already include Javascript into templates using the Template Modification system, not sure how that is any less of a security risk?

Including via templates and directly writing to your server are two completely different notions of security. Allowing scripts to write to your server and modify files is completely different then placing an include into a template.

When a template includes the <script>JavaScript code</script> could it include any JavaScript code just like the .js file?

I'll just quote myself:

Regardless of a 'safe' list of files or not, its still a security risk to allow arbitrary scripts to write to scripts that get arbitrarily run.

Top Bottom