Japan just hit by magnitude 8.9 earthquake

found something interesting today - two guys decided to see how close they could get to Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant - I found this video quite disturbing. No roadblocks, nobody stopping them & I don't know if they are mentally all 'there', but these guys deserve a pulitzer for reporting this.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well, we (that is people who are interested in reality) generally like to predict events in nature based on actual scientific data instead of interpretations based on old storybooks for which there is really no proof whatsoever that they are actually true and therefore of any use.

The problem is that reality, while a good idea, is subjective to ones own perceptions. Your reality is created by your own knowledge and any lack of knowledge could create your reality to be false from the true reality.
Are we real? Are we simply fish in a bowl? What is reality? I am sure you will come back with your own idea of reality but that is conjecture. Even the major Physicists admit that our reality as we currently perceive it is not the end all, be all of realities. There are multiple dimensions within our own dimension.

Could it be that even our own world is simply a small atom floating around in another dimension, surrounded by other realities? We wouldn't know it. We are much like fish in a lake. Unless we are plucked from our own reality, we would never understand other realities beyond our own small area even exist.

Yes, and we only have the tools within our own perceived reality to work with. And until we can prove there is more, that's all we really need.

Rare quake rocks Australia's Barrier Reef coast -

SYDNEY (AFP) – Australia's Barrier Reef district was rocked by an unusual 5.2-magnitude earthquake Saturday, but laid-back locals said they had barely felt a thing.

The tremor struck about 3.30pm local time (0530 GMT) about 124 kilometres southeast of Townsville at a depth of 10 kilometres, according to the United States Geological Survey.

A low rumbling was felt at Magnetic Island, a 20-minute ferry ride from the mainland and part of the Great Barrier Reef, according to a hotelier at the All Seasons resort, where it briefly interrupted a wedding on the beach.
"Some of the guests felt a bit of a shake, nothing much. It wasn't major, no-one fell over and nothing was damaged," she said.

"It was just like a shudder, my office backs onto the laundry and I said 'Oh, that was a big spin cycle.' It hasn't stopped the world up here.

"We are alive and well at the moment and please God that's how we are going to stay."
There were no immediate reports of damage and no tsunami alert was issued

Yet another earthquake for Japan today.

TOKYO (AFP) –
Japan issued a tsunami alert Thursday after a magnitude-6.7 earthquake struck in the northeast of the country, rattling the areas hardest hit by the March 11 quake and tsunami disasters.

The meteorological agency said the latest jolt hit at 6:51 am (2151 GMT Wednesday) some 50 kilometres (31 miles) off the east coast of Miyako, Iwate prefecture, at a depth of 20 kilometres in the Pacific.

The northeast coast of Japan's main Honshu island was ravaged by a 9.0 magnitude quake and monster tsunami on March 11 which left more 23,000 people dead or missing.

The disasters also crippled the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, triggering the world's worst atomic accident since Chernobyl in 1986 and forcing hundreds of thousands of residents to leave their homes.

I think anything at or above a magnitude 6.0 in Japan automatically triggers a tsunami warning.

As someone living in shaky country I can assure it doesn't. Last night a nice shake, house rocking up and down a bit... not enough to even bother to turn on the TV or wake the kids and start "survive protocol" Since the big one we have had 1300 earthquakes, about 10~12 a day at the moment. My mobile phone alert is set to only warn me on anything about Level 3, as the Japanese do not use Richter scale but rather a 7 level system based on the expected "shaking", most of the earthquakes these days are around 5~6 mag.

I am one of the weaker versions of our species, as I have not really had a good sleep since, even though the earthquakes them self are really not the thing to worry about, I live 2 KM from the coast so not the most comfortable place to be with a bunch of little rug rats.

That depends on where it actually hits. This one hit just off the coast, so there would be a warning .

Funny thing... I didn't feel the quake as I was asleep, but the iPhone application I use, "Sleep Cycle", recorded it. :D

I may be heading out to Japan in October, if I am, maybe we should have a meet up, it would have to be quick though as I will be landing, taking the train upto niigata for 4 days, then train back, onto the plane and off home. :)

A snowboarder!
Would be cool, Narita is pretty far though to get too from anywhere in Tokyo.
You'll swing by Tokyo or straight to the snowy mountains from Narita?

Top Bottom