Japan just hit by magnitude 8.9 earthquake

A snowboarder!
Would be cool, Narita is pretty far though to get too from anywhere in Tokyo.
You'll swing by Tokyo or straight to the snowy mountains from Narita?

Working out logistics at the moment. I may end up going a day or 2 early to check out tokyo before I meet up with the rest of the group.

Sure you wanna come?

Just now we had a 7.1 , not a nice experience!
Tsunami alerts, although relatively small (50cm) to hit Japan northern coasts in about 20 minutes

Sure you wanna come?

Just now we had a 7.1 , not a nice experience!
Tsunami alerts, although relatively small (50cm) to hit Japan northern coasts in about 20 minutes

We felt a tiny quake in central Tokyo (2, maybe a 3), but we didn't see any Tsunami alert. Anything less than a strong 5 (Japanese scale) really doesn't phase me anymore.

Anyway, for the guy coming to Japan, nothing really to worry about. I guess it depends on your mode of transportation to get up north. As of today, everything is running on a normal schedule.

When a quake does it, depending on the size, trains may pause for a few moments and then resume if there's no immediate danger. I know a lot of people hop a Shinkansen from either Tokyo or Ueno to go north... others use buses.

Nartia is further than Haneda of course, but only about 1 hour on average by train. I live a stones throw from Haneda, but it still takes me almost an hour to get there. (Tokyo Monorail, needs to be updated or replaced...) For Narita, I use a train called the Skyliner from Ueno station and it takes me a total of 1 hour 15 minutes from my door to the departure terminal at Narita.

Good luck with your trip. :)

Anyway, for the guy coming to Japan, nothing really to worry about. I guess it depends on your mode of transportation to get up north. As of today, everything is running on a normal schedule.

If I was worried, I wouldn't be coming :D

Top Bottom