I've Given Up On Facebook

Going over your responses, it's looking like the whole point of this thread has completely flew over your heads.

Facebook has huge privacy issues. The site is so popular that people overlook their own privacy for the sake of fitting in.

Going over your responses, it's looking like the whole point of this thread has completely flew over your heads.

Facebook has huge privacy issues. The site is so popular that people overlook their own privacy for the sake of fitting in.

I was commenting on something Anthony said, it was only loosely related to the topic at hand.

Also, from your main post I am not at all getting the impression that you were wanting to talk about Facebook privacy issues.

I was commenting on something Anthony said, it was only loosely related to the topic at hand.

Also, from your main post I am not at all getting the impression that you were wanting to talk about Facebook privacy issues.
Man I'm not even going to reply to you in a coherent manner so just skip my previous post and skip this one too cause I'm just rambling.

Inconvenience 1: Facebook asking me to scan my ID card just to change ownership of my facebook fanpage. GTFOH

Inconvenience 2: FB-addicted members keep forgetting their password because they don't want to use FB Connect anymore (which doesn't require a password) SMH

Inconvenience 3: Dude stalking/spamming/harassing both me and my members through the Facebook Like box. Reporting him does nothing as he creates 10 FB accounts a day. :itsawrap:

I'm done.

We discontinued the use of Facebook on June 15, 2012. Site loads faster and SEO rating jumped up (more seo crawling too).

This was what we told our members.............

Dear fellow members,

Recently it has come to our attention, that the web site known commonly as Facebook or Facebook.com has continued to take a strong stance on Internet Censorship. Not to along ago, Facebook started to remove, block, or otherwise censor post which were political, in nature. For example, the more recent topics on the political climate of Syria and any video or live stream links to that association. But Syria has not been Facebook's first target of censorship, nor do I believe it will be their last.

Facebook has also taken a harder stance toward not only political censorship, but also any general topics of interest, which Facebook at their own discretion and self-determination, deems to be politically incorrect.

Further more, the current privacy policy and general business practice of Facebook.com is nothing short of disgusting and intrusive upon people's personal privacy.

And after recent events, I do not see or expect to see any positive, possible change from Facebook.com

Recently after the company becoming a public company, Facebook.com themselves, "claiming to wish to be more open", decided to hold their own public "election" regarding their policies. Upon the close of that "election" and assuming them not liking the results, Facebook actually rejected the vote and proceeded to carry out their policies regardless, claiming not enough people had actually voted to denounce their proposed changes.

This in keeping in mind that, while Facebook did offer this "election", they made no noticeable attempt to publicize that such an "election" was taking place.

Their public response,

Results of the Facebook Site Governance Vote

by Elliot Schrage, Vice President, Communications, Public Policy and Marketing

This morning we concluded our second global site governance vote on the proposed updates to our Statement of Rights and Responsibilities (SRR) and Data Use Policy.

An outside auditor has now reviewed and confirmed the final results which show that approximately 297,883 people recommended we keep our existing SRR and Data Use Policy. Despite our significant efforts to encourage users to vote, only 342,632 people participated, which amounts to a tiny fraction of our user base of more than 900 million. As stated in both governing documents and throughout this process, when less than 30% of all active registered users vote, the results are advisory. Today Facebook will adopt the proposed updates to our Statement of Rights and Responsibilities and Data Use Policy, which you can view by using the following links: SRR and Data Use Policy. We considered a number of factors in making this decision.

We strongly believe these updates provide you with more detail and transparency about our data protections and practices. We received a great deal of positive feedback about these changes from our regulators and the many other stakeholders – including privacy and consumer groups – we consulted about these revisions. Most of the changes clarify rather than fundamentally change our standards. Many of the changes simply reflect recently launched products or conform language between our various policies. More significantly, the changes incorporate recommendations made by our regulators, including the Irish Data Protection Commissioner’s Office.

Despite our substantial outreach effort, the number of people who voted constituted such a small and unrepresentative percentage of our user community. We made significant efforts to make voting easy and accessible – including translating the documents and voting application into several of the world’s most popular languages and providing extensive notice through users’ news feeds and desktop and mobile advertisements. There has also been widespread media attention and coverage of our notice and comment and voting process.

Given these efforts and the subsequent turnout, we plan to review this process to determine how to maximize our ability to promote user engagement and participation in our site governance process in the future.

Since transparent governance and user participation are critical values for us, I’d like to thank everyone who participated in this process by voting and providing feedback on the proposed changes. We value the feedback we have received from you during the voting process and our notice and comment period. We will take it into serious consideration for any future changes we contemplate to these two documents and as we continue to develop our service.

Thank you again for your involvement in this process. Don't forget to like the Facebook Site Governance Page to be notified of future proposed changes to the SRR and Data Use Policy.

Source: Results of the Facebook Site Governance Vote | Facebook

For the record, I voted and if you didn't, because you were unaware of this election, I would not be surprised.

In summary, due to the drastic ever-growing concerns from Facebook.com's growing privacy concerns and broad range of Internet Censorship, SociallyUncensored.eu will be discontinuing our support, integration, advertisement, publicity, and general usage of Facebook.com . For an all out boycott of all their services.

http://www.sociallyuncensored.eu/forums/threads/facebook-discontinued.13734/#axzz20WpfJsJt

You have an issue with your thread previews.

su.webp

I have had Facebook since you had to have a college email address to get it. I'm not deleting it. I'm not concerned about privacy. I only add the people I want to associate with. If you do this then you don't have to worry about privacy.

The site is so popular that people overlook their own privacy for the sake of fitting in.

People do.

But I don't.

I have worked for myself my entire life, have no small children and don't really care about folks reading what I post on there.....

But if I was in the corporate world and/or I had a reputation to uphold, I would stay away from it altogether. Most people, sooner or later, are gonna post something which they would not want their boss to see!

I have had Facebook since you had to have a college email address to get it. I'm not deleting it. I'm not concerned about privacy. I only add the people I want to associate with. If you do this then you don't have to worry about privacy.
If I had it that long I wouldn't delete it either.

The site is so popular that people overlook their own privacy for the sake of fitting in.

It is not so much as that, but rather Facebook keeps changing people's privacy settings.

Today you make X as private, but tomorrow (for example) Facebook changes their settings and layout, so now X is public because it is covered under Z setting, where Z was not there before and you never changed or setup Z.

It is not so much as that, but rather Facebook keeps changing people's privacy settings.

Today you make X as private, but tomorrow (for example) Facebook changes their settings and layout, so now X is public because it is covered under Z setting, where Z was not there before and you never changed or setup Z.
I didn't know they did that. That's pretty messed up.

The girl I told you about the other day said she had to make a new facebook this weekend because this guy that was stalking her, was able to save all her pics and create fake pages of her because he was on her friend's list the whole time, except she didn't realize it because he had made his profile private and blocked her from being able to see his page and info.

I didn't know they did that. That's pretty messed up.

The girl I told you about the other day said she had to make a new facebook this weekend because this guy that was stalking her, was able to save all her pics and create fake pages of her because he was on her friend's list the whole time, except she didn't realize it because he had made his profile private and blocked her from being able to see his page and info.
Case in point...

Before you can make it so only your friends could see things. Later they added a new setting where you could make it so your friends and their friends could see things. So while it wasn't public for everyone, if your friend has 10,000 friends.... heh.... Guess what, you're f*cked.

They still have the setting where you can make it so only your direct friends can access stuff, but when they made the change.... The other option became the default.

If you read their terms of service, user agreement, privacy agreement, and acceptable usage policy (yes, they have a few).... It is all covered as acceptable and you agreed.

I was thinking of turning off the facebook connect on my sites and wanted other opinions of the pros and cons of doing so, which is how i found this thread.

I take it turning off facebook had a negative impact on user activity on your sites then, as I notice the people that said they were/had turning it off and now switched it back on.

Top Bottom