It's the end of the world

True, more likely smug from all the extra donations they milked out of the gullible on the run up to this joke, according to CNN they are sitting on a $72 million fortune.

There's even an online petition demanding Harold Camping should give the money back - http://www.giveitbackharold.com

I personally feel that they should all band together and bring a lawsuit against him to get their money back.
I feel really sorry for those people, but then another part of me does not. Like I said before here, IF they read and know what the Bible says about the "rapture" and the end of the world, they wouldn't have been duped.

I personally feel that they should all band together and bring a lawsuit against him to get their money back.
I feel really sorry for those people, but then another part of me does not. Like I said before here, IF they read and know what the Bible says about the "rapture" and the end of the world, they wouldn't have been duped.
I have no sympathy for stupid people. On the same note, if this Harold guy was truly a man of the Lord, he'd give back every cent. "Thou shall not rip off thy neighbor"...or something like that.

They aren't stupid. Misguided, yes. I'll even agree with ignorant. But not stupid.
Well... At least not all of them. ;)

If he was truly that he wouldn't have ripped off people in the first place. They can kiss the money good bye now :D

I agree.
And I really do hope that they sue him for their money back. I'd they let him get away with this, THEN I would call them stupid.

I agree.
And I really do hope that they sue him for their money back. I'd they let him get away with this, THEN I would call them stupid.

I agree. It is such a shame that those con artists make use of people fears and insecurities and exploit them in the name of God and relegion.

There's even an online petition demanding Harold Camping should give the money back - http://www.giveitbackharold.com

Without look at this assets I probably should not say much but it is my guess it would be very difficult to give back even if he wanted to.

It says he collected 80 million over what may be a four year period depending on what months that use as start and end times for this information, it also states that they are worth 72 million. I would be surprised if 10% of those assets are in bank or short term fixed security assets but I really don't know. My guess is that most of this value is a combination of tangible and non-tangible assets. Some of the non-tangible assets could easily have their value based on what someone in finance would call the dividend discount model. It would not surprise me if they tried to liquidate in four weeks that it would only bring in half the worth, it also would not surprise me if it could only pull in 25%, maybe only 10%. I cannot know with out knowing all the assets but I would be shocked if they could produce 72 million.

Without look at this assets I probably should not say much but it is my guess it would be very difficult to give back even if he wanted to.

It says he collected 80 million over what may be a four year period depending on what months that use as start and end times for this information, it also states that they are worth 72 million. I would be surprised if 10% of those assets are in bank or short term fixed security assets but I really don't know. My guess is that most of this value is a combination of tangible and non-tangible assets. Some of the non-tangible assets could easily have their value based on what someone in finance would call the dividend discount model. It would not surprise me if they tried to liquidate in four weeks that it would only bring in half the worth, it also would not surprise me if it could only pull in 25%, maybe only 10%. I cannot know with out knowing all the assets but I would be shocked if they could produce 72 million.

That's a very serious reply, I think you have mistaken me for someone that give a flying f**k about these nutjobs. ;)

That's a very serious reply, I think you have mistaken me for someone that give a flying f**k about these nutjobs. ;)

I don't expect anyone to care about the nutjobs. Just stating that even if they wanted to (which I doubt they do) It is possibly impossible to give half the money back. I actually think they should give it back but without seeing everything I really doubt it is possible to return most of it even if the assets are seized. Not sure where I said anyone should care about them. Just the reality of the way worth is measured.

In the end it doesn't matter what you believe or have no position on ...a man defrauded willing participants with a bit of mindfoxxing for the sum of 80 million dollars. He is a part and prime example of the problem in the evolution of humanity.

Sadly you can't really do much...as an example how would I provide justification if I were once catholic and had since decided that there is no sustainable reason for myself to practice of that worship, that I should be entitled to a return of all of the funds I had placed in the donation baskets. Hmmm....makes no sense as it was a donation. A donation has no strings or else it would be defined as an agreement or arrangement and not in fact a donation. If these people willingly gave up 80 million for a belief how is that any different? It's tricky to take a position and not open another door without favoring a belief system in a court of law.

I am not debating religion nor should we here. Nor should we call anyone with beliefs of any kind nutjobs or anything else. I am saying as a species we should be smart enough to know when to draw the line in the sand so to speak and just learn from history repeating itself over and over. To each their own and may each hold their own.

In the end it doesn't matter what you believe or have no position on ...a man defrauded willing participants with a bit of mindfoxxing for the sum of 80 million dollars. He is a part and prime example of the problem in the evolution of humanity.

Sadly you can't really do much...as an example how would I provide justification if I were once catholic and had since decided that there is no sustainable reason for myself to practice of that worship, that I should be entitled to a return of all of the funds I had placed in the donation baskets. Hmmm....makes no sense as it was a donation. A donation has no strings or else it would be defined as an agreement or arrangement and not in fact a donation. If these people willingly gave up 80 million for a belief how is that any different? It's tricky to take a position and not open another door without favoring a belief system in a court of law.

I am not debating religion nor should we here. Nor should we call anyone with beliefs of any kind nutjobs or anything else. I am saying as a species we should be smart enough to know when to draw the line in the sand so to speak and just learn from history repeating itself over and over. To each their own and may each hold their own.
Maybe.......if they had defrauded you. Most religions don't make the mistake of preaching something as fact that is provably false. And when it's done to extract money, it's usually called felony fraud.

Maybe.......if they had defrauded you. Most religions don't make the mistake of preaching something as fact that is provably false. And when it's done to extract money, it's usually called felony fraud.
I agree and disagree. This is why it is a belief system. He also was preaching whatever it was that he was preaching at a time that it was not provable that the world was going to end...mathematically it was highly improbable but not provable.

Arguably I have found myself not to practice anymore and could if I wanted to be obstinate, say that I was defrauded and who could argue. You would have a hard time armed with a copy of a book proving that it didn't hurt me financially with no gain. This is an arguable point but I would like to assure that I would not claim fraud in my personal example as I learned from the teachings of many religious writings and there is no loss if I am to take knowledge in regardless who the people are in whatever book I am reading.

My whole point is there is no way in a court of law to prove he didn't actually believe the world was going to end unless he stated so out of his mouth and for that reason he didn't break any laws and that is the plain dirty truth of it. I am not saying I don't believe he could have planned to defraud many of people...all I am saying is suing him is just going to incur more loss to the people who already have lost much because no one can prove his intention. And if he is forced by a court to give back funds it could set in motion actions from people out trying to make a quick buck.

The only reason I am responding really is to assure those reading that I have nothing against organized religions as long as they do more good than bad and to assert that I am not slinging mud on the belief system I was raised under. It is just I have not been shown proof of anything proving or disproving felonious acts in this case and you can't prosecute a belief...and if you start you are opening a big bad door.

This does not take into account any personal feelings I have toward this topic and or actions the person in question took.

Perhaps some illustrations of a sobering thought...

fool.webp
money.webp
parted.webp

Top Bottom