XF 1.4 Issues with El Capitan and Chrome

kingston

Anyone here have issues going to 'some' Xenforo sites running El Capitan and Chrome? Yes I know El Capitan is beta, but trying to figure out what the problem is that is causing certain sites not to load. My site and xenforo.com, when it comes to the forum, will not load. It works just fine, though, in Sarafi. Just trying to troubleshoot and see what the issue is.

Odds are you answered your own question. It is a BETA software, and Chrome is not coded to play nicely with it - as I seriously doubt that Google is coding it to work on a BETA version of any OS due to the possibility of changes in said OS. Not surprising that it works fine in Safari, since they are both being rolled out together. I wouldn't worry about it unless it is an issue with the release of El Capitan.

You'd probably have more luck anyway asking in the Google Chrome group.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/chrome

Just an update on this.

Although this is clearly a bug in El Capitan / Chrome (and I've reported it as such to both), we have actually worked around this in XenForo 1.5.

Fun fact: It's caused by the results attribute on search elements:
Rich (BB code):
<input type="search" results="5" />

We have effectively removed all uses of this attribute throughout all templates.

When those changes roll out here later, the site should become usable in Chrome on OS X 10.11 again. Which will be much to @Jeremy and my relief :)

Couple of exceptions, however; this attribute is still in use in some Gallery and Resource Manager pages so you might expect to still see issues on these pages, though we will likely fix the issue there, too, eventually.

I got my alert about the Public Beta... and decided doing one BETA was enough right now so haven't installed it. Last time I did the OSX beta's I had problems with transmit and a few other things (things that I really needed).

I could always go to my Windows 7 desktop and use it (or my Surface Pro) instead - but I hate punishing myself like that. :p

Just an update on this.

Although this is clearly a bug in El Capitan / Chrome (and I've reported it as such to both), we have actually worked around this in XenForo 1.5.

Rich (BB code):

We have effectively removed all uses of this attribute throughout all templates.

When those changes roll out here later, the site should become usable in Chrome on OS X 10.11 again. Which will be much to @Jeremy and my relief :)

Couple of exceptions, however; this attribute is still in use in some Gallery and Resource Manager pages so you might expect to still see issues on these pages, though we will likely fix the issue there, too, eventually.

Please excuse me while I go get supplies to celebrate. Good development tools again! (Especially because Chrome seems to have taken over as my default browser again and won't let go. Lol)

Just an update on this.

Rich (BB code):

Thank you for finding this. Now to install Beta 1.5 or wait for Google to fix Chrome??

Your choice. The current beta release of 1.5 doesn't have these fixes in though so you would have to wait until Beta 2 at least. We don't officially advise running beta software on a live environment.

Just an update on this.

Rich (BB code):

Any tips for a quick fix now? Having the same problem on my site. Members complaining about slow loadtimes and sometimes freezing.
Or, just sit still in the boat and hope that Google will release an update?

It's fixed in XF 1.5.

We removed the results= attribute from all search elements.

No fix in the Canary build of Chrome yet or in El Capitan's latest beta.

It's fixed in XF 1.5.

We removed the results= attribute from all search elements.

No fix in the Canary build of Chrome yet or in El Capitan's latest beta.
Ok. Canary build you say, I might having another problem then. Got some complaints from users using regular chrome. Problem was reported a couple of days ago. Slow site, freezing, text showing up seconds after typing it in the text boxes.

My point was that the normal version of Chrome is about version 44. The dev channel must be on 46 so far. I think the Canary channel is up to version 47. None of these builds, yet, contain a fix for the problem. I would have expected the Canary build to have been fixed by now with the dev and normal builds being updated soon after but nothing yet.

If they are using regular Chrome, your site is running XF 1.4.x or below and are running OS X El Capitan Beta then I'm certain it's the same thing.

My point was that the normal version of Chrome is about version 44. The dev channel must be on 46 so far. I think the Canary channel is up to version 47. None of these builds, yet, contain a fix for the problem. I would have expected the Canary build to have been fixed by now with the dev and normal builds being updated soon after but nothing yet.

If they are using regular Chrome, your site is running XF 1.4.x or below and are running OS X El Capitan Beta then I'm certain it's the same thing.
Also reports from members using chrome on mobile phones. Safari works great though.

Top Bottom