Is xenforo backup really so complicated ?

michael85

Hi, I'm here to see how it is with the backup and Xenforo renewal before buying.
My friend owns the Xenforo 2 official license, telling me to go try xenforo and buy it, I only used phpbb, but I know how xenforo works because
I'm a member of his forum.

He told me that the only downside of Xenforo is that it is not like a phpbb style. And it's complicated.
He said if I had something to do with Xenforo, I ended up and I will never have it without a backup.

How did I make a backup at phpbb until now
(is the same procedure possible for xenforo?)
I have classical hosting from my provider, I do not have my own server.
Until now, I made a backup at forums like phpbb or mybb as follows:

I go to phpmyadmin administration, select all tabs and click to export. After i remove it from database and remove all files in ftp.
Next i upload fresh files of phpbb to my ftp and import my database backup in to phpmyadmin - thats all - forum works.
My friend told me that this is not possible with the Xenphoro same like this.

Can you please tell me how to do backup and recovery on Xenforo 2.0 on classic hosting (with phpmyadmin and ftp).
I need to know it before I buy Xenoforo, I asked a friend and he left me here, he said he did not know well, just by what he read.

Thanks very much !!

As always in life, it depends.

For a plain XF installation, this should work fine. As soon as addons are involved, the same addons must be installed on the target machine, otherwise XF might fail to work.

And as far as I understand the structure, attachments are stored in the data directory, so just a restore of the database might fail if you operate with attachments.

I'm running a VPS, so I'm doing a backup of the XF file structure, AND a mysqldump. Restoring the XF file structure and loading the SQL dump afterwards always worked for me.

Top Bottom