XF 2.1 Upgrade from 1.5 to 2.1 - Why So Complicated

rosal

Hi its time for me starting planing the upgrading to 2.1 from 1.5 but at firts reads i see things like
FTP Programs with merge option (dont know what is this)
Xenforo dont upgrade from 1.5 to 2.1
We have to use an importer
etc...

So mutch things, after more then 15 years with forums never see so much problems to upgrade the same software.

Can someone share what is the best solution to upgrade?
Why is so complicated?

If you have ever upgraded XenForo since it was first installed, the process in its simplest form is the same for major upgrades as it is for minor upgrades - uploading files and going to the installer.

Last edited:
If you have ever upgraded XenForo since it was first installed, the process is absolutely identical going from XF 1.5 to XF 2.1 as it is going from XF 1.5.x to XF 2.1.x.
^ This, and you have to check for addon/theme compatibility because addons/themes from XF 1 will not work on XF 2.1.

What to do:
1. Make a list of addons and themes you use and check to see if they're compatible with XF 2.1.
2. Optional: Upgrade your server to the recommended PHP version (eg. PHP 7.1+ for the best performance, although PHP 5.6 still works).
3. Do a test upgrade. Set up a test forum with your live site's data and do the testing there first before touching the live site.
4. If it's still too much, you can always ask for help here (you can also PM me because I'll be happy to take a look and give you more insights).

Top Bottom