Is this good UI design ? (example Xenforo.com) - content starts 11 areas down

Digital Doctor

This has been prompted by me using my first wide screen monitor. Most of my monitors are square and have a wide screen monitor in portrait orientation.

I'm also reminded that websites have to deal with opposite situations:
desktop: wide screen
cell phone: tall screen.

Most people use 1 wide screen monitor on the desktop.
The most common resolution is 1920 x 1080.
Which is exactly what I have.

Here is Xenforo.com ... click what's new

1716641648930.webp

Problem 1) browser takes up alot of space.
Roughly 20% of the height of the screen is browser overhead. I could lessen it by removing the bookmarks bar. My wife wouldn't know how to do that.
Websites need browsers so this is hard to change, but it does waste valuable screen real estate.

The browser problem is the first 3 lines (1), (2), (3)

1716642041629.webp

Line (4) is the logo, it looks nice when it's on it's own line. This luxury should stay if possible but major tabs may benefit from being beside the logo.
Line (5) The Tabs: hard to wean Xenforo off Tabs. Especially because each Tab is a product (Forum, Media, Resource).
Line (6) + Line (9) - this is absolutely duplicate content. It creates a very uninviting wall of text. Change desperately needed.
Line (7) - Home. This is the bread crumb - it's too sparse. Change needed.
Line (8) - What's new - this is the page title. Too sparse. Change needed.
Line (10) - Latest posts - another title. Really feels like overkill. People just want content. Almost no one needs this title to know what it is.
Line (11) - The first actual glimpse at content - KEEP IN MIND it's just the title. No full content even.

This really feels like the structure is more important than the content. It just cant be right if the goal is content.

The problem looks worse if my browser is at a zoom on 100%.

1716643645991.webp

So I get four lines of content TITLES on the first screen ?
It's just not enough.

What's the Future Design of Xenforo ?
How can the content be delivered with less structure ?
Do other forums do this differently ? How does it impact the end user ?

Some people like to have an attractive header.
Do users like to view attractive header ... but have to (1) scroll to view thread titles. (2) click a thread, (3) view attractive header ... but have to scroll to read thread.

To scroll EVERY mouse click to VIEW anything is not user friendly.

Maybe if your homepage was a huge pretty picture. But when your whole site has an image that needs to be scrolled around ..... it seems like your users are predisposed to carpal tunnel scrolling for no reason.

The problem with XF is that it is developed entirely by developers, with no UI/UX designers on the team. The user experience could be significantly improved if UI/UX designers were involved in the development process.

The problem with XF is that it is developed entirely by developers, with no UI/UX designers on the team. The user experience could be significantly improved if UI/UX designers were involved in the development process.
well ... if that was true ... many other forum / community software packages would have a designer ... and they must be doing better .... send me a link to the product ... i'll see how they do things.

Do users like to view attractive header ...
many do I think - it gives a site some personality
To scroll EVERY mouse click to VIEW anything is not user friendly.
It's never bothered me, takes about 300ms. Clicking and scrolling seems to be common on the internet.

I would agree that you don't want to have to overdo it.

Things like navigation and breadcrumbs can seem like clutter but I get the feeling people often don't mind clicking or scrolling - as long as they have a good idea of where they are and where they can go and everything has clear and understandable labels.

One issue for me is the tab Forums. The word itself is ambiguous because surely the whole site is a forum, why would there be a tab for forums when really they aren't separate forums, they are sections or categories.

With the right style framework, you can sometimes streamline things, though. I know that I have managed to do a version of my site (that I ultimately did not deploy) using some features of @Russ' Xenbase framework and the Flat Awesome+ style that he based our styling on that gave a more streamlined look to the top. It ended up being more like a mobile site, with a lot of the navigation in a side panel instead of at the top. As I said, I did not deploy it for various reasons but it is possible without requiring a redesign of the software itself, just judicious use of custom styling features.

We need a more efficient design. I attached my design below. I am sure most of the users are not using the left vertical menu. I am planning to hide totally the vertical menu. Iy will be open by clicking 3 line button near the logo. I try to feature the sections which users need frequently.

1716665646810.webp

many do I think - it gives a site some personality
Sure.
I'd leave it full size for the landing page, but for the rest of the tabs I think there should be a smaller version.
I doubt google likes big backgrounds at the top. I doubt first time users really want that. Google searchers looking for content on your site dont like it. I dont like it.

Another idea is to make it a user setting.

Another idea is to have it when a new user comes back, but subsequent pages have a smaller graphic.

gbatemp.net is a superior forum. it's a customized version of xenforo.
they use the space to get people to login.
1716666254412.webp

Spacebattles.com is an interesting site.
They use space at the top to NAG people to sign up.
1716666380117.webp

Users don't like wasted space at the top. Users don't like non-content space at the top.

to click on a thread to see content .... and then NOT see it. VERY unsatisfying.

Can you imagine clicking on content anywhere else other than a forum site .... and NOT see the content ? It would feel weird. because it is.
IMO.

Sure.
I'd leave it full size for the landing page, but for the rest of the tabs I think there should be a smaller version.
I doubt google likes big backgrounds at the top. I doubt first time users really want that. Google searchers looking for content on your site dont like it. I dont like it.

Another idea is to make it a user setting.

Another idea is to have it when a new user comes back, but subsequent pages have a smaller graphic.

gbatemp.net is a superior forum. it's a customized version of xenforo.
they use the space to get people to login.

Spacebattles.com is an interesting site.
They use space at the top to NAG people to sign up.

Users don't like wasted space at the top. Users don't like non-content space at the top.

to click on a thread to see content .... and then NOT see it. VERY unsatisfying.

Can you imagine clicking on content anywhere else other than a forum site .... and NOT see the content ? It would feel weird. because it is.
IMO.

There is charm is nostalgic styling.

There is a nice feel to your logo and graphic. No question.
And you are using 1/2 the space to make money ! So at least there is some use going to the space making me not see content.
We support long threads so in our instance the header is secondary. I do like your thinking though.

Back
Top Bottom