Is there a maximum amount of posts that XF can handle?

Alpha1

In vb threads should not have more than 1000 posts, or else it results in performance issues.
Does xf have the same issue?

Do you mean 'No, xenforo can have more than 1000 posts' or 'No, long threads in XenForo do not result in a performance loss.' ?

I should have been clearer with my question.
The issue with vb is that if a board has loads of long threads, then the board becomes slower.

I've got various threads with 20,000+ - 30,000+ and 40,000+ posts and it doesn't appear to detrimentally effect CycleChat. (y)

We are a relatively small community on a cheap server, have a few threads with 1000+ posts, and no problem at all!

Infact, never faced performance issues with xenForo!

I've got various threads with 20,000+ - 30,000+ and 40,000+ posts and it doesn't appear to detrimentally effect CycleChat. (y)
Cool, then I can just let my current threads accumulate. Until now I try to close threads after 1000 posts and create a sequel thread.

That doesn't seem to be an issue in FlyerTalk (vB-based forum). This thread is over 80K posts & growing: The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome!. An earlier version of the thread did blow chow but the current incarnation is going strong.

Megathreads are quite common in FlyerTalk.
vb staff has frequently commented that this incurs a performance issue to the overall site if you have a lot of long threads. (no issues to the thread itself) If you have more than enough hardware to throw at it, its not noticeable, but it makes quite some difference in how much resources are needed. I had hundreds of threads longer than 1000 or even tens of thousands.

This thread has 20,000+ posts without any issues...

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/the-proxy-discussion-thread.399487/

It's an issue with vBulletin and many other systems because they use a LIMIT OFFSET to page through thread pages. XenForo Doesn't do that though... the "position" column in the post table handles it much more efficiently and I don't see any reason you couldn't have a billion posts in a thread with any issues.

I should note that the are some performance considerations in 1.1 when someone replies to the thread (not when viewing), but this has been resolved in 1.2.

Wasn't there a slight delay on loading high numbered pages (talking thousands of pages here) due to an inner join where a left join should always return the correct data and is quicker loading?

I think @digitalpoint suggested it.

I should note that the are some performance considerations in 1.1 when someone replies to the thread (not when viewing), but this has been resolved in 1.2.

That doesn't seem to be an issue in FlyerTalk (vB-based forum). This thread is over 80K posts & growing: The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome!. An earlier version of the thread did blow chow but the current incarnation is going strong.
Megathreads are quite common in FlyerTalk.

Very much appreciated Mike. (It should be noted that Mike was kind enough to help script earlier fixes for this wonky problem on mega threads.) On Milepoint (somewhat a sister to FlyerTalk and yes mega threads seem to run in the family!) which is running XF, we did have problems when large threads grew. A thread (Teh Penalty Box) started to go wonky at about 65K replies. A restart thread went to 100K before it went wonky and the current restart is at 87K in replies and is still stable. We'll be upgrading to 1.2 soon and then will have to make a decision to merge the three existing threads back into a single thread which would make it +/- 250K in replies or leave it in parts. And actually the history of FlyerTalk is that vB presented several challenges for mega threads throughout its history (none of them pretty challenges either!), just one of many reasons why the newer additions to the family moved on to XF and have never looked back at vB.

Top Bottom