Is there a character limit for thread titles?

DoctorWatsOn

Following on from THIS POST - is there a character limit for thread titles and if so is it possible to change it?

I've looked all over the place and I can't find an answer.
confused.png

Oh, thanks for the quick replies!

A limit of 150 should be enough, so can I change this 'datawriter' thing and where would I find it?

I really do not recommend this, and I would not make the change without testing on a BU site first. Also note, it may not be that easy as there may be limit checks within the HTML as well.

XenForo/DataWriter/Discussion.php and search for: 'maxLength' => 100

WRT to the link in your first post, now that Jaxel is aware of the character limit I am sure he will include a thread max length error check, :)

XenForo/DataWriter/Discussion.php and search for: 'maxLength' => 100

Though it may not be that easy as there may be limit checks within the HTML as well.

Bugger, it doesn't sound like something I, not having a clue, should play with. :(

WRT to the link in your first post, now that Jaxel is aware of the character limit I am sure he will include a thread max length error check, :)

I hope so, I've just updated that post with what I've discovered, so I hope he can fix it.

Only problem I see is that when adding an event both the 'Event' title field and the 'Town & Postcode' [state/ZIP] field is combined to produce the thread title.

Anyway thanks to you & the others for your help on this. :)

Bugger, it doesn't sound like something I, not having a clue, should play with. :(
A discussion came up on this yesterday, and I believe it works fine as long as you change the datawriter to the new length and ensure that the database column can accept that length. Changing the DW to 150 and keeping the DB at 150 should work fine.

Nice one - I've liked & posted on that thread. :)

A discussion came up on this yesterday, and I believe it works fine as long as you change the datawriter to the new length and ensure that the database column can accept that length. Changing the DW to 150 and keepnig the DB at 150 should work fine.

Cheers, I'll give that a go.

Although, it would still cause problems if people add events with a title & town/postcode longer than 150, so I hope Jaxel can solve that problem, however changing from 100 to 150 is going to massively reduce the problem, so it's a good starting point. :cool:

EDIT: Oh, hang on, it's not looking so good from THIS POST by xenMike on ragtex's thread.

And once again, thanks for the help - once again proving this place rocks compared to that other place across the pond. ;)

Just a quick note, because we tried to change it, but wasn't successfull:
In the thread_edit and thread_create template it's also hardcoded to 100 chars.

You would need to edit this too.

Top Bottom