XF 2.2 Is there a star rating system for posts?

jayhawku

Users on my site have requested a star rating system as that's what they had on their old forum, I think vBB, and I'm trying to please all.

I searched and see an add-on but think it's only related to the thread, not individual post and user, but I also see numerous posts that are simply one post in the thread and no answer relating to this discussion.

Is there a way/add-on already for rating people's posts out of 5 stars say, and having that number be displayed below or somewhere on a users profile?

Thanks in advance. Not sure if this is a feature request or not.

The closest thing is Q&A threads where replies can be upvoted/downvoted and you can sort by the number of votes to see the top answer (akin to 5 stars being the top).

This might work for you:
Thank you for posting. That is pretty snazzy. I think what users want is to rate each post so that a users rating could be displayed under their name based on all their posts being rated over time. It's just a nostalgia thing for them as whatever forum software they used two decades ago, had it.

I don't think it's a bad system per se so am looking at how to request/offer a job for someone to code/implement it I guess.

But, I appreciate your help in trying to find a solution very much!

I have done an add-on to rate posts with one or more criteria. Looking like:

Weather: ***
Hotel: *****
Flight: **
Conclusion: ***

or just one
Rating: ****

I have never finished it to subsume the ratings to the thread, it is a more optical thing now for people to show their opinion about whatever.
If i remember right, the stars could be set for one or more forums, but also different stars for one or more forums.

Finally, it is not more than to save an array of integers.

Today I will start a new one for only one rating per post and a result for the thread.
Maybe in some days, we know more.

I have looked at the two available add-ons for this. Both use an additional table, but for what purpose?

xf_post.xc_rating, an integer
xf_thread.xc_rating, a float, or a float and three or four integers.

The rating for the thread is added in real-time.

And if a recalculation is needed, all topics with posts with ratings must be considered. Alternatively, you could keep a log file that only serves this calculation purpose. post_id/rating_value

I don't know why the two add-ons make it so complicated. Does anyone know why?

plus:
care for delete post, move post, melt post, melt thread, real time or cron job?

Back
Top Bottom