Is it time for 1280px layout?

agison

In recent years, all fixed layout was made for 1024px.
Today I view my Analytics and saw that 1366 is 25%, next 1280 is 16% (total) then 1024 is 13%.

Screen Shot 2012-09-15 at 8.37.00 AM.webp

So I wonder this is a time to switch fixed layout to 1280?
What do you think? How about your site?

My largest site (100k pageviews a day) is targeted toward teens-low twenties (video game site) and this is my results

Screen Shot 2012-09-14 at 9.40.18 PM.webp

Yeah, speaking as someone using 1920x1080, I do not often maximize windows, as I find that uncomfortable. Exceptions include if I am using my word processor (in which case I have it set to display two pages side by side) and when watching a movie.

Screen resolution is a bit deceiving now that people have flat screens, instead of CRTs. I can't remember what my resolution is as I'm not on my computer at the moment but it's really high, but I've set the dpi settings on windows so that the things on the screen are about the same size as they were when my resolution was set to 1024x768, otherwise things are too small on the screen.

I'm more inclined to shift towards the one size fits all, new responsive layout design type. I use one on a small blog of mine that I just started, and I have to say... they rock. No more designing for multiple screen sizes, instead let the layout change based on specific statements you code into it for the browser width.

Example: http://demo.gavick.com/index.php?month=May&year=2012

Widen and narrow your browser. Columns to menu, image, the lot... all fluid, yet fixed as well when you choose, ie. fixed width columns max-width and so forth.

Instead of chasing after a minimum resolution that works for all, I think there must be a better solution. Responsive design looks promising. There is a recent thread by Arty who shows a design that works for all devices.
I suspect the mobile style that Kier mentioned that will come with 1.2 would be something modern and of this "responsive" genre.

I don't like flexible & responsive design. I want to fix everything.
Android layout is very flexible, can display all many different resolutions but almost software are useless. iOS have fixed resolution and I love them. Developers also love them. Almost softwares have very nice UI.

I don't like flexible & responsive design. I want to fix everything.
Android layout is very flexible, can display all many different resolutions but almost software are useless. iOS have fixed resolution and I love them.
I'm sure, lots of iPhone5 users will absolutely *love* how older apps look on the now higher resolution screen :)

Android apps that do not scale nicely to multiple resolutions are just badly implemented.

Fact: fixed resolution layouts are bad and a thing of the past (with a few exceptions, maybe). No longer necessary, because web developers have enough tools and technologies to implement flexible designs. Oh, and laziness, because fixed-width designs are easier to implement, isn't a valid excuse either.

You can still "fix" responsive designs for the desktop, yet allow them to motion responsively on tablet and phone, without having to design multiple templates. You do it all from the one design, you simply use "if" principles based on the type of product accessing the style.

If tablet is accessing, then it uses x code. If desktop, it uses y code from the one template. If the code fits both, you leave it alone. Responsive is IMHO, the future design versus this multiple styling of layouts for different devices.

I think vB 5 is good at displaying threads on any size screen.
I played around with the window size and was surprised how well it looked on any size.

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned is putting two browser windows side-by-side on a 1920x1080 monitor. Our fixed width size is 990px (and I don't see that increasing), which allows you to put two windows side-by-side without lose of content due to scroll bars.

Fact: fixed resolution layouts are bad and a thing of the past (with a few exceptions, maybe). No longer necessary, because web developers have enough tools and technologies to implement flexible designs. Oh, and laziness, because fixed-width designs are easier to implement, isn't a valid excuse either.
Simply putting "fact" in front of something doesn't actually make it a fact. ;)

I wouldnt limit yourself to a fixed resolution at all anymore. Take a look at twitter bootstrap as an example of a good responsive layout. With your mouse, resize the window and you'll see it resize the content accordingly - works very well and even collapses navigation bars for mobile devices.

I'm hoping to do a responsive grid based layout for XF on an upcoming project :)

Top Bottom