When is it time to move hosts?

Forgive me, but is not VPS for really active websites/forums? My small board is just fin for shared hosting, but what if it grows a bit. My wallet is not friendly at my current stage in life.

Besides.. there are a lot of "unlimited" shared hosting plans out their.. right? :p j/k
Aarmin, you do what your wallet can afford.

And typically, yes, it is for more active sites but it depends on how you class "active". Mine wasn't that busy per visitors but I needed the extra space for my store which had a huge amount of zip files.

What I did was go in with 3 others that you know and trust and "buy" the vps or dedicated that way. That way, it doesn't hurt any one's wallet too badly.

Moving isn't even really a negative these days if you use cpanel / WHM, and your new server the same, as you can close your site, import it to the new server which zero issue, redelegate the domain, and within 30 minutes you are running all your sites on a new server.

The normal webhosting is a little longer, as the new host will have to talk with the old host, and move the files for you between themselves, as you wouldn't have that sort of access to SSH into it more than likely.

There are only 2 VPS solutions I would offer, being ServInt & WiredTree. ServInt is the better for entering VPS, and WiredTree is better when you begin to break over that $100 per month range.

If you start getting over the $200 a month range, you should be looking at a dedicated solution vs. VPS. It also comes down to what server resources you need. The majority use CPU over RAM... so a dedicated is often the better. If your in the minority where you are eating RAM with little CPU usage, then VPS usually offers the better alternative in that area.

My sites use CPU and are flat out getting past 500Mb of RAM usage...

I would move (like i did sort of) i asked them if they could fix the error , which they tried but failed so i ordered another Reseller from Simplexwebs and im looking into buying a vps of them soon, but if you need hosting for XenForo talk to the support officier when buying and check that they have everything XenForo needs before you move, Your host dont have to ask your old host before you move, if you say are moving hosts if you tell your new hosts your old cpanel details they can move it automaticly or just backup your site, and back up the MySQL server databases, make a new databases and use Phpmyadmin to upload the sqls to the right database.
Un Zip your files move the folders to the correct location public_html to public_html that should do it.

But yeah your host can do them automaticly. I offer Free hosting or paid if you like just pm me.

Top Bottom