• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

is it possible to run XF without the Forum-interface?

erich37

I just had an idea and was seeing that members at my website are actually talking through the member-profiles only. So my members are actually not using the Forums, but they use the member-profiles to send information to each other and post their status-messages, etc.

Is there a way to remove the Forum-interface from the software, so literally showing the member-profiles only ? So I want XenForo, but without the Category/Forums showing at all.

Most probably this is not possible, so maybe there is another way to achieve what I am looking for:
is it possible to have the "Members List" showing on the Homepage, instead of showing the Forum-List on the Homepage ?
So when a user is entering the URL of my website, he will see the member-list first......

This is not a joke.......

RobParker

I'd suggest that XF is probably not the software you want to be honest.

Have you looked at for example SocialEngine or other more "facebooky" software?

Rigel Kentaurus

I just had an idea and was seeing that members at my website are actually talking through the member-profiles only. So my members are actually not using the Forums, but they use the member-profiles to send information to each other and post their status-messages, etc.

Is there a way to remove the Forum-interface from the software, so literally showing the member-profiles only ? So I want XenForo, but without the Category/Forums showing at all.

Most probably this is not possible, so maybe there is another way to achieve what I am looking for:
is it possible to have the "Members List" showing on the Homepage, instead of showing the Forum-List on the Homepage ?
So when a user is entering the URL of my website, he will see the member-list first......

This is not a joke.......
You need to introduce "Twitter" to your members :)

erich37

no, I do not want to use any other software or introduce Twitter or that kind of stuff.

I am very happy with using XenForo, but I discovered that users are more and more talking via their Profile-Pages than talking on the Forums.

Probably this would be an idea for Ashley + Mike + Kier to sell another XenForo by-product ?
Meaning having an additional XenForo-product which is having all features as what the software is currently doing, but without the Forum.

mjp

On a related note, I am currently developing my own version of Facebook without such unnecessary extras as the wall, interests, profiles, pictures, etc. It will just be a list of names and a messaging system. It seems to be what my users want.

erich37

well, I do not want to copy Facebook or Twitter.
I have dealt with a lot of other software-systems and most of them are very buggy and just time-consuming to make them what I want.

So I love XenForo as I do not need to struggle with the software as it is running very smooth compared to many other software out there.

I am just thinking of having XenForo as it is now, but without any Forum-Category or Forums or any Forum-posts. That´s all. And having the Members showing on the Homepage.

I guess that would be great second product to sell and make additional money for XenForo Ltd. to sell as an additional product.

TNCclubman

have the home page be the 'Your News Feed' thats what I did. Like you, I found my people want to keep tabs on each other and not necessarily type new posts all the time. Like this they can get a quick synopsis of who's writing what and to whom.

erich37

have the home page be the 'Your News Feed' thats what I did. Like you, I found my people want to keep tabs on each other and not necessarily type new posts all the time. Like this they can get a quick synopsis of who's writing what and to whom.
that´s a great idea as well !

How to achieve this ?

F

Floris

Is it possible to run XF without the Forum-interface?

Why bother? Despite that users might use profile comments more, there will be a moment you realize that the forum features that make a forum work aren't available for those profile features and then that is what you want. Which is basically a forum again.

Buy forum software to run a forum.
Buy social network platform software to run a social network.

Jake Bunce

XenForo moderator
Staff member
You can delete your forums:

Admin CP -> Applications -> Display Node Tree

Or you can also edit this template to hide the forums:

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Templates -> forum_list

Remove this code:

Code:
<xen:hook name="forum_list_nodes">
	<xen:if is="{$renderedNodes}"><xen:include template="node_list" /></xen:if>
</xen:hook>
While you're at it you can add other content to that page if you want.

erich37

Jake, you sure have a clue of how making the members-page to show as the Homepage ?
And remove the Forums-Tab in the navigation menu ?

Many thanks!