1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Is it possible to convert WordPress to XenForo?

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by W.D, Jan 1, 2015.

1. W.D

W.D Active Member

I recently bought a WordPress blog but I want to convert that site into a forum keeping all content from WP, I don't see any threads or importers for XenForo other then converting it to vBulletin then to XenForo but vBulletin being the great company, sorry my bad, complete and utter rubbish company run by idiots has decided to remove impex from their lovely, again sorry, rubbish website and tells us it's now on GitHub but without a single link to it.

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Adam K M likes this.
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

There is no direct import path from WordPress.

You would need to do a double import, first converting to software for which there is an importer.

3. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Here is one way:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/importing-wordpress-into-xenforo.25919/#post-356346

But the vB4 import path is getting old and requires a vB license so I don't recommend it.

The important part is step #7. Similar queries could be used to insert directly into XenForo's thread and post tables instead of using vB as an intermediary. They would all be "guest" posts (no user accounts are imported). Reassociating posts by username is possible if any of the users have re-registered on your XF forum.

Or hire me to do it for you (send me a PM).

4. W.D

W.D Active Member

As @Brogan said I was aware I would need a double import the killer is vBulletin have removed the impex system and no longer give downloads, they say it's on github but resulted in 2 hours searching and multiple dead ends..
    [​IMG]

I'm not worried about the users/comments as 98% are spammers it was the main posts, but meh there's only 104 I'll repost by hand I think.

Thanks for the advise and if I change my mind I'll PM you @Jake Bunce

Cheers

5. Dannymh

Dannymh Active Member

This script I wrote will do the posts and content but assumes you have already converted users across.

It could be very easily adapted to add users too.

It uses direct database methods though and not the api of either.

https://xenforo.com/community/posts/873798/

W.D and LPH like this.
  6. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

How many articles are you trying to move?

W.D likes this.
  7. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

This? https://github.com/internetbrands/vbimpex

W.D and LPH like this.
  8. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

W.D likes this.
  9. Dannymh

Dannymh Active Member

It's also superfluous for moving articles from Wordpress to Xenforo, I'd be happy to adapt my script if you need me to

W.D and LPH like this.
  10. W.D

W.D Active Member

Oh wow, Thank you for this, I couldn't find it for the life of me!

EDIT:
    Nevermind, they didn't even fix it lol

Code:
    class wordpress_000 extends ImpExModule
    {
    /**
    * Supported version
    * @var string
    */
    var $_product = 'blog';
    var $_version = '2.3.1';
    The DB I have is 3.5.1 sadly.

It only has 104 articles I already had 30 reposted I think i'll do by hand, thanks again for the help everybody!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    LPH likes this.
  11. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

I have once converted wp article to xenforo threas using impex and success.

12. drastic

drastic Well-Known Member

Do you do custom moves? I'm looking to move my wordpress homepage into my forums, that way i can get rid of wordpress. Would love to be able to do that.

13. Dannymh

Dannymh Active Member

Hi,

I created a converter that is available in the converter forums. Moves all Wordpress blog posts across

Other than that I'm just too busy at the moment to be able to any custom work in a fashion that is timely enough to be a good service for you

14. drastic

@Dannymh - will it move over all the contents of the blog posts, such as any images included?

15. Dannymh

Dannymh Active Member

It brings all posts over to forum posts and leaves the images intact in their current location. So if there is an image in a post it will change it to bbcode to bring it across. It's not perfect but it does a good enough job

16. drastic

ok, so we should leave our wordpress content folder up, just to keep the old images intact, right?

17. Dannymh

Dannymh Active Member

18. ugurkn

ugurkn Member

I can do this, you can pm me for more details.