Is it allowed to modify resource manager code and create a new addon?

TheBigK

I'm curious to know if it's allowed to tweak the resource manager code - eliminate a few things and add new ones - and create a new addon? We don't want to sell or make it available as a new addon; but just use it on our own website.

Yes, you can modify the source code of XenForo and the RM to suit your needs. However, I would highly implore that you utilize the add-on system if at all possible, just to make upgrading easier on you in the future. (y) Any direct modifications needs to be reapplied at every single upgrade.

I'm not sure if I understand the OPs question correctly - do you want to modify the original code, then release the modified version to the public as your own addon? That would surely not be legal.

I'm not sure if I understand the OPs question correctly - do you want to modify the original code, then release the modified version to the public as your own addon? That would surely not be legal.
The last sentence implies he doesn't plan on releasing it in any way shape or form. The "new add-on" is awkward wording. But legally, the license agreement states modifications can be made to the source code directly.

That is what I thought, I would have guessed xenforo would not allow this since then people can make minor changes (as there's no criteria/guidelines set how much you have to modify it before it's not technically a RM anymore). Is there a link anywhere from staff or the owners stating that this is okay?

Edit: Just read King Kovifor post and that sounds about right to me.

Treat the RM as if it was just another part of the core.

You can create addons that extend the RM (just like you create addons that extend the core) but to use them someone would need the RM themselves. You can't just repackage the RM with your own extra code, just like you can't modify the core and release the whole thing as your own.

You can of course do whatever you want to your own copy of the RM (assuming things like copyrights, etc aren't removed), just like you can do whatever to your own copy of the core code.

Edit: The above is my interpretation, not anything official I've seen.

Just to clarify.

Permitted
Producing and releasing add-ons for the XenForo core code
Producing and releasing add-ons for official XenForo add-ons
Producing and releasing add-ons for third party add-ons (with author approval)
Modifying the XenForo core code for your own purposes
Modifying official XenForo add-ons for your own purposes
Modifying third party add-ons for your own purposes (with author approval)

Not Permitted
Modifying the XenForo core code and releasing it as new forum software
Modifying official XenForo add-ons and releasing them as new add-ons
Modifying third party add-ons and releasing them as new add-ons (unless author approval is granted)

@Brogan : I'll be very specific : I've a copy of resources manager add-on installed. Am I allowed to tweak it and install as a new add-on on my own site so that our site gets a new functionality apart from the resources manager? For example, can I modify the code of RM and create a new article management system and install it on my own site along with the RM?

The changes we are looking to do are strictly for our own website and we don't intend to release our new add-on to the public. Is that allowed?

For example, can I modify the code of RM and create a new article management system and install it on my own site along with the RM?
You will need two RM licenses for that as you are installing two instances.

The difficulty with that is official add-ons are associated with a license and only one add-on of each type can be associated.

You would need to ask whether an exception can be made and two RM add-ons can be linked to one license.

You will need two RM licenses for that as you are installing two instances.
Really? I thought a license is given per domain basis. My understanding is that you are licensed to use a product for one specified domain and not for one installation for each domain.

The terms are laid out in the license agreement: http://xenforo.com/license-agreement

If you have any questions as to whether your idea would meet the terms, you should always contact us directly. We would need to analyze everything on a case by case basis.

Really? I thought a license is given per domain basis. My understanding is that you are licensed to use a product for one specified domain and not for one installation for each domain.

XenForo Limited grants You a limited, non-exclusive, worldwide license to install, download and use a single instance of the Software ("License") through a single installation. Each License may run one instance of the Software, accessible via one URL. Any attempt to circumvent this limitation is prohibited and will result in the License being revoked.

I guess they don't make explicit reference in Section 7 to a single installation of an addon but as you can currently only associate one instance of an addon to a single license it's built-in to the above by default.

Top Bottom